Adding driftwood AFTER adding fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish are acclimated and I want to add some driftwood. Is it possible, or a bad idea given the potential for pH fluctuation ? It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for my pH to go down (I am at just under 7 and with apistos it can apparently be much lower). I am just wondering if messing with the water chemistry now would be bad in terms of stability for them.

Or should I just get fake?

you can add it, id just boil or soak it for a while first, that way the tannins won't seek out as much

you can add it, id just boil or soak it for a while first, that way the tannins won't seek out as much

Thanks. How long do you boil it? And I am assuming that (even after boiling) a little tannin leaks out, the change in pH would be gradual enough so as not to be harmful?

And is there a type of driftwood that is better than another?

just boil it, then drain the water, and continue until the water runs clearer... a little will still leak, but yes it won't be as affective. as far as other types of driftwood, I'm unsure, but I'm sure you will be fine

If its gathered properly, from freshwater streams, and has been regularly or constantly submerged, you wont likely have to deal with the tannin issue much.

Stay away from cedar. It looks good, but even extremely old cedar still has oils in it that will turn your water.

Are you buying it or gathering it yourself?

Make sure it is freshwater driftwood for aquariums.

One of my local LFSs was selling driftwood, said it was "just regular driftwood, good for all tanks"

Turns out, it was shipped in from out of the country, has been in salt water, and was prepped for lizards and snakes, not fish.

Back
Top Bottom