Adding Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to keep it. Tanks been set up since the first of January I think.
I think the water looks pretty good now, but if the store has purigen and floss, I'll grab some for sure!!

I think the water looks pretty good now, but if the store has purigen and floss, I'll grab some for sure!![/QUOTE]
If you think it is good now, wait until you get both of those media's in there....

My apologies -- I meant no disrespect whatsoever, and didn't know the gender of this member at all; I was just going by the forum name...:)

The official designation of her filter is the Aqueon QuietFlow 30:

Scotty - much cheaper way to go. Hit wal-mart, get some quilt batting (the real name of it skips me, but it looks like a big roll of white fleece). Cut that up and stick it in. Poor man's filter media - $3 for a couple hundred sq. feet of filter floss. Can't go wrong with that!
Good luck!

I agree! In fact I have a roll of the batting tied inside of the tank near the filter outlet so that I change the filter, put the batting in behind the new filter and it really cleans and helps with curing the new filter. Make sure it is 100% cotton, and cut more than you think you will need because it gets thin in the water, but not shrink. Use it in the 10g and the 20g. Good luck!

I think it's more important to have ceramic rings than additional stuff to polish your water. Providing more surface area for BB to grow on will greatly increase your biological filtration and when changing the filterfloss and dirty cartridges you don't have to worry about removing almost all your BB. It's always nice to have a clean tank but biological filtration is far more important.

So we went to Walmart today and they didn't have cotton batting, ceramic rings, or purigen. I'll have to order some online!

So we went to Walmart today and they didn't have cotton batting, ceramic rings, or purigen. I'll have to order some online!

I wouldn't have thought Walmart would carry these things, let alone Purigen -- heck, my PETSMART and PETCO don't even carry Purigen...I always have to order it via Amazon...:rolleyes:

Well, it was worth a shot LOL

Hey Sydney, i would look into Seachem Matrix. As other have quite rightly said, bio-media is more important than polishing media. Using the Matrix, you could have both polyfil and Purigen. You only need a small amount for your size tank(please do you own research on that though). As for the cotton batting, i'm not a fan of using cotton, as it break down easier than polyfil. On your next visit to Walmart or other shops, pick up a very cheap, 100% poylfil bed pillow($1-$2). This is exactly the same stuff as filter floss. Alternatively, i have heard people here stating that craft/hobby stores sell large bags of polyfil for a couple of dollars. Purigen can indeed be widely purchased online. My first choice would be to try the polyfil and Matrix, and if you have room, some Purigen. You could go ahead with just the polyfil for now, until your Matrix arrives, if you choose to buy it.
PS...Would it be possible to post a picture of your filter, just wanted to see your current layout...

Hey Sydney, i would look into Seachem Matrix. As other have quite rightly said, bio-media is more important than polishing media. Using the Matrix, you could have both polyfil and Purigen. You only need a small amount for your size tank(please do you own research on that though). As for the cotton batting, i'm not a fan of using cotton, as it break down easier than polyfil. On your next visit to Walmart or other shops, pick up a very cheap, 100% poylfil bed pillow($1-$2). This is exactly the same stuff as filter floss. Alternatively, i have heard people here stating that craft/hobby stores sell large bags of polyfil for a couple of dollars. Purigen can indeed be widely purchased online. My first choice would be to try the polyfil and Matrix, and if you have room, some Purigen. You could go ahead with just the polyfil for now, until your Matrix arrives, if you choose to buy it.
PS...Would it be possible to post a picture of your filter, just wanted to see your current layout...

I think I found my camera cord last night, so I will try and get a picture up for ya!

Okay, ya'll talked me into the polyfiber. Question is - how often is it changed or is it just washed in old tank water? And what is Purigen? Thanks!

Purigen is primarily a "water polisher" to make your tank water ridiculously clear and almost transparent in effect; but, as has been stated, it's not really "better" than running extra bio material or mechanical material in a filter...I just suggested it because it's what I run for "extra media" in both my AquaClear 110 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55 HOBs.

Read about it here:

Seachem. Purigen

Okay, I am probably going to order something else for my water from DRFS and I would like to know, what else should I get? So many people are suggesting so many things it's a bit confusing! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom