Adding filter media to intake reservoir on HOB filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone added some media like a sponge/pad/filter floss/bio bag to the intake reservoir of a HOB filter?

http://i.imgur.com/QOfOzKN.png

Not sure what it's official 'name' is so it's that part of the filter. I noticed there is some room there and was thinking of adding some media there for increased filtration.

Anyone else? I'd like to know if its any effective or a waste of media.

Unless it's a coarse sponge, I think it would be a waste of media. It's the very first part of the filtration, so you're getting all the uneaten food and poop, which the polyfil won't be the best at capturing. I use polyfil as a "water polisher" to capture the fine particles that the larger sponge can't.

I see, so a coarse sponge would be the best option? I have some spare ac50 sponges I can cut to fit; I'll give it a try.

Sambo where did you place it as a water polisher? I'm rocking a topfin 75 so I got the double resivors with 2 charcoal and 2 corse sponges for bio...just courious cause I could always use clearer water...

I have an ac110, so from bottom to top, I have the coarse sponge, then polyfil, then purigen, then the biorings. There's only 1 reservoir though. My water has been crystal clear since doing this in my 55gal.
I don't mess with carbon anymore, as it's quite expensive for "good" carbon, and its cleaning ability is gone after about 2-4 weeks. I do have a pack of research grade activated carbon in the cabinet in case I have to med the tank, because the carbon is the only thing I'm aware of that removes meds.

I cut a sponge very small and stuffed it in there. The tank had sand so it removed almost all of the sand that got sucked up.

So you have a can it sounds like...I'm still using an hob...anyone know of any cool tricks for an hob? I don't really care about moding or adding media as long as it pays off...both in water quaility and easy of maintinace of the tank...

Well go and buy an aquclear sponge they are cheap and small. Cut it down to fit in the tray you where talking about in the link and fit the sponge in. After that stage put bio balls. Fluval bio max seems really good. And then add activated carbon if you want. All you really need is sponges and bio media. If you rinse your sponge often it will to grow bb but just trap debris.

Here are my two filters I run ones on the 55 and the others on the 15. The 55 is cycling so is not pretty. And the 15 is crystal clear.

Attachments

• image-196519427.jpg
    image-196519427.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-294813087.jpg
    image-294813087.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-261992118.jpg
    image-261992118.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 83
See idk if I can do this with the way my intake comes in...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130211_155831.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130211_155831.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 94
Not sure if you can from the pic just stuff a sponge where ever it's possible. That's what I do

What do you think of one on the intake inside of the tank? Or is this a waste of time? Cause the second you shut off or take the tube out everything is going to fall right back into the tank...

Well at that point it's up to you is it filtering good as is if so you could just leav it. I would take all the stuff out and rearrange it to fit another sponge.

So this is what I ended up doing...

ForumRunner_20130216_095731.jpg

I went to the petsmart and grabbed some corse sponges for a canister and folded one up and crammed it into where the water enters the filter, then got some "water polishers" for a can system and put them after my filters....and in 12 hours I have noticed a huge difference... thanks guys! I would of never of thought of adding to a filter...I probally would of ended up buying a bigger one....

Yup it will definitely clean up your water now what I do is I rinse them every few days 5 is good and then I works great does not crash your tank with the loss of bb. And cause an ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom