Adding Fish Breed help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 75 gallon tank is finally healthy. After a year of cycling, then a huge ammonia spike which killed half of my fish, and some hesitancy towards cleaning and changing my tank, I've managed to settle everything out to the point where my fish are thriving, and I've even seen a few baby corydoras catfish swimming around!

Because half my stock died off, I have this big tank, with very few fish. I have 6 corycats, 1 angelfish, 2 gouramis, 3 small 2.5" plecos, 1 brustlenosed pleco that's about 4", and 2 Bossamatis. Not to mention my two new mystery snails.

I'm hoping to add colour to the tank, by adding a few smaller, middle dwelling fish to start with. I'm going to be adding two angel-fish, once I'm sure my tank is completely settled/does well with adding a few fish.

What would you reccomend to add to my tank to add color, that will add activity and life, without over-stocking my tank, and causing another ammonia spike? Open to anything/all fish, as long as they aren't aggressive to the point they'll chew apart my gourami or angelfish.

Thanks for the help!
Sarah

The Harlequin are beautiful, it'd be nice to have a shoaling fish with a small group of them. The apistos, they're cichlids, right? Or are they a kind of ram?

Because I know cichlids have a hard time getting together with other cichlids.

Do you mean you have 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish?If so they would do best if you upped their school to at least 6 total if not more. Also be sure to get male and females.

Brightly colored fish that would go with your stock and that are peaceful would be rummynose tetra's, cardinal tetra's, and harlequin rasbora's.

If you get more angels you will have to be very careful when introducing them as the one that has been in your tank for so long will most likely have territory issues. In a larger tank it's good to have a school of 6 angels as with this number aggression is more evenly spread out and no one fish gets picked on exclusively. If you get another angel I would suggest removing the older angel, change the tank scape, add the new angel, then readd the old angel. What this does is it confuses the older angel into thinking it's in a new tank where it has no set territory which normally helps keep aggression towards the new angels lower.

they are rainbowfish. i'd bought 6, and all but two died in my ammonia spike. I had my aquatic frogs, 4 bosmatti, my other angel, and a couple of corydoras catfish die when my water spiked.

Would you recommend adding rainbowfish before tetras? or could I add thme after tetras? they're really happy, and enjoy hanging out with the gouramis, before they wouldnt really hang out together, and picked at each other when I had 6.

Thanks again!
Sarah

You can add them in whatever order you want, it really doesn't matter in this case.

Back
Top Bottom