Adding fish to an existing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magpie58

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a ten gallon tank with an over the back filter and an undergravel filter. I have a pair each of black neons, harlequin and bleeding heart tetras. I would like to add a pair of somewhat larger fish that can hold their own against these six bullies. They have managed to torment to death any small fish I have added. Any suggestions?

A ten gallon would be too small for any more fish in my opinion. And a larger fish in a 10gallon wouldent go well.

Besides, thats not a very good mix, all those fish like top be in schools of three or more, preferably 6+fish/school. A ten gallon is only large enough to support a small school of one type of fish anyhow.

All of the fish you have are schooling fish and like to be in groups of 5-6 or more. There really aren't many larger fish that will work in a 10 gal. I'd suggest a betta, but bleeding heart tetras can be nippy with long finned fishes like bettas.

That might work, but even female bettas are prone to other fish nipping their fins.

Help

I posted a question about adding fish and have 4 replies. I can't access any of these. It seems like I'm being blocked. Any suggestions?

Should be able to view all replies by directly accessing the post online in the forums. And sorry but I have to agree with the others. A 10 gallon tank just isn't very suitable for larger fish with schooling fish already in there. In terms of adding a female betta it would be best to watch her for a while to ensure she isn't getting picked on at all.

My suggestion would be to choose one of the three species that you like the most, go to your LFS with the other two species and replace them with the species you've picked. Personally, I'd go with the harlequins. They look really nice when in schools, and they're more wide-bodied than the black neon.

Maybe you could get away with having 5-6 more of one species, seeing how you've got quite a lot of filtration going. You'll just have to be diligent with the water changes and your feeding regimen. I do hope it's cycled though.

Back
Top Bottom