Adding fish to our 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for some imput on future fish purchases. Right now we have 1 5" red tail shark, 9 zebra danios, and 3 cherry barbs. Thinking about maybe a tiger pleco, a few more cherry barbs, a school of tiger barbs, 3 clown loaches, and maybe a couple of Angel's. Any input or other tank mate suggesstions?

I wouldn't put angels in with tiger barbs...I wouldn't add any more than what you listed and what you listed might be over doing it. Clown loaches get big...they will out grow a 40 gallon. I would focus on the danios and tiger barbs. I think they go nice together. Sepae Tetras and Columbian tetras can hold their own in there if you really want other fish.

I would not get the clown loaches they will out grown your tank. You can try another kind of loach like maybe a yo yo of kuhuli or maybe a few cories.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I would add up your cherry barbs for sure. Make sure to use the 1 male to 2 female ratio.

I would leave out the tiger barbs; they do better in species only tanks. As being aggressive fin nippers, they are hard to put with any tankmates, but I guess it depends on the individual fishes personality (some can be fin nippers; some are not).

I would also recommed keeping the clown loaches out of the stock question. They can get 12-13 inches big and need at least 100+ gallon tanks.

You could possibly do an angel or two but I wouldnt. The zebra danios would possiby nip them (the cherry barbs might also, but there hasnt been many reports of them nipping.

You can also try some of the dwarf species of cichlids; rams, kribs, apistos. We started our 40g a couple of years ago as a ram tank, didn't have much luck with them so went with kribs. Now we have rams doing excellent in our 115g and kribs in our 40g.

I had a tank with 6 Tiger barbs, 5 colombian tetra, 5 serpae tetra and a rainbow shark. Never had an issue with the tiger barbs.

Dragon Fish - Dwarf cichlids would be great! I would love to observe their behavior in my aquarium, however I don't know anything about cichlids. Are rams, kribs, and apistos types of dwarf cichlids? What would you suggest for someone starting out with their first cichlids - how many would you suggest that I add in my tank? The ph in my aquarium stays right around 7.2 - 7.6. Where can I turn to learn more about dwarf cichlids?

My plan now for total inhabitants:
1 red tail shark
9 zebra danios
9 cherry barbs
1 Bushy nose pleco (they only reach 4 1/2" adult size)
? dwarf cichlids

I love my Bolivian rams. Wouldn't trade them for the world! Blue rams are a little more touchy to the water conditions. But the Bolivians are a great first timer cichlid!

Back
Top Bottom