Adding kuhli loaches to a 10 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svenix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been my "snail only tank". It has 4 pomacea diffusa snails, 2 ramshorn, and a whole bunch of physid snails that I'm trying to get rid of.
The tank seems to have a problem with little stringy worms (they look like nematodes but are about 1.5" long) that move is a "S" shape through the water. I have seen them bothering the snails and recently I've noticed that something is actually eating the snails tentacles. I'm not sure who is doing it but I think it could be the worms..
I read that kuhli loaches are generally friendly to snails and will eat these bugs, but I have also read that they will pick on the snails so I'm thinking it's probably a personality thing?
Is it worth the risk to get the kuhli loaches? I really like the look of them, so if they would be a nice addition to the tank I think it would be awesome..
If it would work, how many?
Thanks.

I think it would be a really good addition so I think I might just go ahead and get them even with the risks involved.
How many in a 10 gallon with 4 apple snails, 2 ramshorns (might move them to 50g) and some pond snails?
Would this make me over stocked?

That sounds like a lot! haha.
Do I need to add anything to my aquarium before I get them?
Here is a picture of it:
2ecqia1.jpg

You would need to offer them some type of shelter other than those plants. A cave or rock pile. They're very social towards each other but reclusive if not kept in groups of 4 or more.

So I bought a plastic ornament that has quite a few hidey holes, and off I went to look at the loaches. There was only three in the tank hiding in a pvc pipe and the guy said the one didn't look too good but it looked fine to me. They aren't going to get anymore for another week or so, so I'm just going to get them somewhere else but I'd like to know how to tell if they are healthy or not so I don't end up with dead fish.
Thanks for your advice by the way Cichlid Kid!

My kuhli's live in the base of a large ornament and I rarely see any of the 7 as they like the dark way more. They are by far my favorite fish!

So I added the plastic rock thing and drip acclimated the loaches. Before I started acclimating them I noticed one was acting very weird so I'm not sure hes going to make it through the night.
When do I feed them? I bought some frozen blood worms and I have tropical fish flakes and algae wafers.
What is the chance that they will harm my snails?
Thanks.

Kuhliis don't eat snails unlike other loaches unusually. Bioload wise you've got no problem but if you added six in a ten gallonthen I would be just alittle concerned simply because of space. They are supprisingly active in larger numbers. Do you have a sandy substrate? They can burrow in this and it will nearly double their usable living space.

That's a really nice tank. I would put a cave or something to hide the sponge filter. Makes the tank seem more natural.

I have a pebbly gravel substrate. Thanks for the tips about the filter...

When I woke up this morning, one of my snails looked like it was eating one of the loaches.. So now there are two of them that are dead but I'm not sure if the last one is because of the snails or something else. My tank is fully cycled, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10ppm nitrates. I did a PWC on sept 11.

I have to respectfully disagree with the proposed stocking of this tank. I have over a dozen kuhli loaches and would not recommend keeping them in tanks less than 30 gallons. Yes, they have a small bioload, but just like a rainbow shark would require a larger tank footprint (compared to their actual size) for cruising abilities, the kuhlis require a larger tank footprint because of the way they utilize the tank.

Mine are in a 46 gallon bowfront and they continually go to the top of one side of the front, then glide all the way down across the tank front, landing on the bottom of the opposite side. They also love to wiggle up and down the sides of the tank (the kuhli "dance of joy"). If you keep them cramped in a 10 gallon, you will be inhibiting their movement and you will also never get to witness their true personalities.

They also feel safer in a larger group. In a 10 gallon, you won't be able to accomodate that need.

You also should have a sand substrate for them as they filter through the substrate for food particles. All in all, it's just a bad species choice for your tank.

Thanks for your reply Lynda, wish I had been told that befor I bought them though. I'm going to try to catch them and return them today, hopefully the rest stay alive.

Back
Top Bottom