adding new fish: alternative to using a net?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I know with catfish and other fish with spikes or whiskers using s net to get them into your tank can get their fins or whiskers caught. What are some alternatives to this so that the fish is not harmed from the transfer from the bag or drip acclimating bucket into the tank? I'm looking for a way to get the fish from the bucket into the tank safely with the least amount of pet store water getting into the tank.

Thanks!

I've used a measuring cup(like a 1/2 cup size) to scoop them out of the bag, I just hold it against the bag at an angle and let the water drain out before adding the fish to the tank.

your clean hands...you should avoid putting the water you got from the place you bought your fish into your tank water

I use my hands for my plecos- it less stressful for all of us that way. With my synodontis I drained the water from their bags and slid them into the tank.

Hello Brent...

Handling fish can be stressful and possibly injure the fish. I acclimate the new fish by lowering the bag into the tank and adding a bit of tank water every 5 minutes for about 25 minutes. Then, you lower the bag opening into the tank and the fish swims out. If a little of the bag water gets into the tank, that's not the end of the world. There's enough tank water to dilute the bag water. I've never had tank problems following this procedure.

B

for smaller sizes why dont you put 5 or 6 1/4" holes in the bottom of a clean dixie cup, upend the LSF bag into the cup over a bucket. should not take more then 5 seconds to drain then submerge cup and let said fish swim out on his own.

for smaller sizes why dont you put 5 or 6 1/4" holes in the bottom of a clean dixie cup, upend the LSF bag into the cup over a bucket. should not take more then 5 seconds to drain then submerge cup and let said fish swim out on his own.
That's a really clever idea

Back
Top Bottom