adding prime to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is the best way to add prime to your tank while doing water changes, i add it to the buckets of new water, but it is very hard to get the dosage right, can you over dose? or could i remove water from the tank add the prime i need to the tank, then add the water to top it back up, what is the best way?

When I use buckets, I put 5G's worth in the 5G bucket. When I use my "Python," I put the amount for the whole tank in, and then fill with water.

Prime is safe up to 5x dosage (probably more, but thats just what the bottle says), so if you accidentally add too much, it wont hurt anything

I'm curious how folks do this too. I only have a 20 gallon (for now ;)) and I just use gallon jugs. I add Prime to the jug and then fill it up with water and add to the tank. I think I need to get myself a dedicated "fish bucket" - I have a 5 gallon bucket for emptying, but it's been used for other things, so it's for emptying only.

cool, so if i add prime to a half full tank then add water, the chlorine in the water will be gone, is that right

It is best to add the prime to the water being added if you are doing bucket changes. It is fairly difficult to overdose unless you really splash it around.

cool, so if i add prime to a half full tank then add water, the chlorine in the water will be gone, is that right

When using my Python to refill my aquarium , I add Prime in three stages .I first add some when I first start refilling , I then add a little more half way through , and then when I have it topped off I add the rest of the Prime . I add enough for the entire volume of water that my aquarium holds , not just what is needed to dechlor what I have removed .

I think it all depends on how you do your pwc's. I use buckets and fill them up with tap water, then add the dechlor. i will however drain the tank, add the dechlor and re-fill the tank when i get my 250 up and running.

Sodium Thiosufate is good stuff, it mixes very quickly and acts instantly when it contacts chlorine. In fact I read a study that it still takes out all the chlorine when you have exactly the right amount. You don't really have to dose the whole tanks volume for a 50% pwc. Some like to do that for peace of mind.

I think the dosage recommended is based on the maximum allowable levels of chlorine in tap water. By the time the water reaches your house the levels are usually much lower.

ok thankyou ppl, looks like i will add it to each bucket as i go, thanks

add it to whatever water you're putting in the tank, but be sure to stir it or shake it whatever, to get it to mix in the water. just be sure to let it sit for 15-30 seconds it's not super duper instant, and in that moment it comes in contact with the tank water, if any chlorine/chloramine comes in contact with a group of bacteria the more chance you're taking

Here is a question i have heard here i wanted to clear up. Do you add as much your putting in (just enough for the 5 gallons i am using) or do i add accourding to the tank (like the tank is 20g and i add enough to the pwc bucket for the whole 20g)?

Here is a question i have heard here i wanted to clear up. Do you add as much your putting in (just enough for the 5 gallons i am using) or do i add accourding to the tank (like the tank is 20g and i add enough to the pwc bucket for the whole 20g)?
Thats what this whole thread is about lol

if you're pre-treating, just enough for what you're adding. if you're adding straight to the tank, add enough for the whole tank

ha, just as a side note, evidently prime isn't meant for anything other than prep of water?

Q: How does Prime make a difference in reducing Nitrates?

A: The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it. Two other possible scenarios are reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic nitrogen compound.
I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite and nitrate. This was unexpected chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they overdosed with Prime they were able to reduce or eliminate the high death rates they experienced when their nitrite and nitrate levels were high. We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.

sound pretty bogus to me for using it for nitrites

When I am topping off my tanks because of evaporation, I use enough Prime for the 5G bucket. When I am doing my weekly water changes, I use the amount for the full tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom