Adding salt to a freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunscream13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read that adding salt to protect slime coat and reduce stress is 3 tablespoons for every 5 gallons of water. This seems excessive to me. Any thoughts?

I read that adding salt to protect slime coat and reduce stress is 3 tablespoons for every 5 gallons of water. This seems excessive to me. Any thoughts?
The information you read was incorrect. A smaller amount than that is beneficial to pond koi and comets...much smaller. But freshwater fish come from freshwater naturally without any salt to help them srcrete a substance that comes from ducts in their skin. Save the salt for the next flounder you fry up to eat. Lol

I agree with Finnipper, no salt. Salt is not good for catfish, plants or Inverts. Ive read that salt really messes up water that is soft and acidic. A lot of hobbiest medicate with salt with varying results. IMO, best to use meds.

Let me guess.. it's a 300 gallon tank and you don't want to spend a ton of of money on salt?? Nah... it's less than 60 gallons and you'd be better off sticking to a weekly maintenance routine. Change half the water for starts, wipe glass with a paper towel and clean filter bi-weekly. Don't over feed and that takes should be running smooth as silk in no time. Stability and consistency go a long way. Why add another variable.. like.. adding salt to a fw system?? Makes no sense?? I know people say they've been doing it with good results.. blah blah.. fact- strictly fw specimens to not need salt to thrive. They thrive In optimal conditions. Clean water is a great starting point. A well-maintained tank is the end goal. Dumping "stuff" in the tank in replacement of actual maintenance and care is lazy and will not suffice. No offense, it's just the way it is.

Umm no, it's a 125 gallon tank and I just read that a little bit of salt can reduce stress and improve slime coat. You assume to much and it's not appreciated.
Let me guess.. it's a 300 gallon tank and you don't want to spend a ton of of money on salt?? Nah... it's less than 60 gallons and you'd be better off sticking to a weekly maintenance routine. Change half the water for starts, wipe glass with a paper towel and clean filter bi-weekly. Don't over feed and that takes should be running smooth as silk in no time. Stability and consistency go a long way. Why add another variable.. like.. adding salt to a fw system?? Makes no sense?? I know people say they've been doing it with good results.. blah blah.. fact- strictly fw specimens to not need salt to thrive. They thrive In optimal conditions. Clean water is a great starting point. A well-maintained tank is the end goal. Dumping "stuff" in the tank in replacement of actual maintenance and care is lazy and will not suffice. No offense, it's just the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm no, it's a 125 gallon tank and I just read that a little bit of salt can reduce stress and improve slime coat. You assume to much and it's not appreciated.
I assume nothing. I was simply making light of a clone post. No need to say such bad words?? Plain and simple..salt belongs in brackish and marine tanks. Salt does not belong in fresh water tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is an old link on catfish transport (don’t have links anymore or on USB somewhere). Perhaps that’s where as that dose rate seems more for medication use (in Australia where better meds are not present). Anyways that dose rate sounds high.

More commonly I saw one teaspoon per 5 gallons I think. Would have to check maths again but that wasn’t much (been several years since checked that though).

Imo I’m not really convinced on the slime coat, etc. However do use it for treatments.

Was the reading from general threads or articles?

Generally I agree with above thoughts.

Hello sun...

That's too much salt, unless you're treating the tank for some type of parasite infection. Your plants, if you have them, won't do well in this level of salt. I do use it in my Goldfish tanks, but I use a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water. My plants are fine with a trace of salt and I've found it helpful as far as the general health of my fish.

The choice is yours.

B

Hello sun...

That's too much salt, unless you're treating the tank for some type of parasite infection. Your plants, if you have them, won't do well in this level of salt. I do use it in my Goldfish tanks, but I use a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water. My plants are fine with a trace of salt and I've found it helpful as far as the general health of my fish.

The choice is yours.

B
Yeah I put ten tablespoons in a cup of water to dissolve and then just put in a quarter of the cup of water. My one jack Dempsey keeps getting a little bit of fungus on his face I think from rubbing against things so I figured a little bit of salt might help him. It's a 125 gallon tank

Yeah I put ten tablespoons in a cup of water to dissolve and then just put in a quarter of the cup of water. My one jack Dempsey keeps getting a little bit of fungus on his face I think from rubbing against things so I figured a little bit of salt might help him. It's a 125 gallon tank
So I'd say I added 3 or 4 tablespoons to 125 gallons.

There is an old link on catfish transport (don’t have links anymore or on USB somewhere). Perhaps that’s where as that dose rate seems more for medication use (in Australia where better meds are not present). Anyways that dose rate sounds high.

More commonly I saw one teaspoon per 5 gallons I think. Would have to check maths again but that wasn’t much (been several years since checked that though).

Imo I’m not really convinced on the slime coat, etc. However do use it for treatments.

Was the reading from general threads or articles?

Generally I agree with above thoughts.
Yeah I've seen all kinds of different info on this subject so I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it. I added a small amount because my jack Dempsey has been scraping a little and getting some fungus on his face. It always goes away after a day but thought that a little salt might be good for him

What's the stocking and wc schedule?
I change the water once a week 35% and have one canister filter and 2 hang on back filters that equal out to about 1500 gph I have 3 jack Dempseys 2 angels a rainbow shark, Raphael cat, a couple danios and tetras, ornate Bichir, sailfin pleco and a few bristlenose plecos

I assume nothing. I was simply making light of a clone post. No need to say such bad words?? Plain and simple..salt belongs in brackish and marine tanks. Salt does not belong in fresh water tanks.
I apologize, I thought you were trying to be rude.

I change the water once a week 35% and have one canister filter and 2 hang on back filters that equal out to about 1500 gph I have 3 jack Dempseys 2 angels a rainbow shark, Raphael cat, a couple danios and tetras, ornate Bichir, sailfin pleco and a few bristlenose plecos
This is what it looks like 20180627_175155.jpg

Have you tested nitrates? Flashing can be territorial but the fungus is water quality related. It's on the heavy stocking side so a larger ac would help keep levels in check. How often do you clean the cannister?

Have you tested nitrates? Flashing can be territorial but the fungus is water quality related. It's on the heavy stocking side so a larger ac would help keep levels in check. How often do you clean the cannister?
The ammonia and nitrites are always at 0 but the nitrates are pretty high, higher than I'd like them to be. I clean the canister out about once a month. What is ac?

The ammonia and nitrites are always at 0 but the nitrates are pretty high, higher than I'd like them to be. I clean the canister out about once a month. What is ac?
The stocking is a bit high, you're right. The BN plecos are mating once a month and even though most of the eggs get eaten I still have a bunch of small plecos in there. I'd like to take most of them to the pet store

Back
Top Bottom