Adding salt to freshwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jem0220

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What does everyone think about this? I have a bamboo shrimp and the pet store employee recommended adding salt to the tank. I have a Cory cat and a couple of guppies in there. I'm also thinking of adding some tetras.

There's no real reason to add it. It's useful in treatment of some things, but it doesn't really have a benefit when done on a regular basis.

There are varying opinions on this. I've used salt and started a similar thread, and heard from people who routinely use salt with cories and invertebrates.

Someday maybe someone will study this and give a solid answer.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

There's no real reason to add it. It's useful in treatment of some things, but it doesn't really have a benefit when done on a regular basis.
+1, nearly every reason to add salt to aquariums as a regular practice or preventative have turned out to be false. One of the biggest myths still floating around the hobby.

Using Aquarium Salt

What does everyone think about this? I have a bamboo shrimp and the pet store employee recommended adding salt to the tank. I have a Cory cat and a couple of guppies in there. I'm also thinking of adding some tetras.

Hello jem.

I've used a little standard aquarium salt in my planted tanks for quite a few years. I keep Corydoras, Guppies, Platys, Plecos and Danios. All are fine with a little, so contrary to popular belief, you can use it.

I keep the dose low, roughly a couple of teaspoons in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. Its seems to work for my tanks.

As with any planned change, do as much research as you can to make an informed decision.

The main goal of tank keeping is to keep the water free of dissolved wastes, so the fish stay healthy. So, keep up on the water changes, everything else is secondary.

B

Back
Top Bottom