Adding salt to freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbie123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. My petstore advised me that aquarium salt improves gill function and should be added to my freshwater tank. I've got the salt but am not sure whether I should dissolve t in some aquarium water and add the mix or just drop the salt crystals in. If I just drop the crystals in, should I scatter them? Thanks!

I highly recommend dissolving them first. If you just drop them in, scattered or not, they will slowly dissolve in that spot, so as to have patches of salt and fresh here and there. Of course, those crystals don't contain a whole lot of salt, so it won't be as drastic and I made it seem; though the point still stands. :)

I suggest taking the advice offered by your lfs with a 'grain of salt' and do your research first before adding a chemical to your tank. You also did not mention what type of fish, plants or inverts you have stocked. Scaleless fish (ie, plecos, catfish, loaches, etc) do not tolerate salt well nor do inverts such as shrimp or snails. Plants are not appreciative of salt either. Please read the links below and ask any questions!

Salt | The Skeptical Aquarist

The great salt myth

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/is-aquarium-salt-needed-227851.html

Salt can be added to freshwater aquariums. A little bit (though I don't remember the exact amount) is safe for all freshwater fish. It is important that you measure how much you add though because some fish like tetras and cory cats are sensitive to salt.
Plants do not tolerate salt very well either.
If you ARE going to use salt, dissolve first

Np! Another thing, If you have a powered water filter system, premix the salt into a cup of your aquarium water..make sure it fully dissolves then pour it through the filter system..

Back
Top Bottom