Adding salt to FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this necessary? And what are the pros and cons? Thank you.

It is good for some fish... it can reduce stress (Aquarium salt, not table salt!).

However, it is generally considered not good for planted tanks. YMMV, however, as I know some planted tank keepers use aquarium salt without ill effects.

fort384 said:
It is good for some fish... it can reduce stress (Aquarium salt, not table salt!).

However, it is generally considered not good for planted tanks. YMMV, however, as I know some planted tank keepers use aquarium salt without ill effects.

I see. I will add salt only if my fish is stressed.. I don't want to harm the plants. Good thing you told me to use aquarium salt. I was thinking of the table salt. That would have been bad. Why can't I use the table salt? Iodine?

Salt is not needed in a freshwater tank I have kept fish for 4 years and never needed it. The only tank tropical tank needing salt is a brackish tank otherwise it is not worth worrying about.

Why can't I use the table salt? Iodine?
Exactly.

I also agree that it is probably not required in 99% of cases. I have never added it to any of my tanks. Of course, you are keeping some much more advanced fish than I (my focus is plants, not fish...), so someone else may have a differing opinion on that.

The only time I would suggest using salt is if ich is present... or some other diseases. I've read so much conflicting info on salt, IMO there's about a 50/50 chance it actually does anything.

Tropical boy said:
Salt is not needed in a freshwater tank I have kept fish for 4 years and never needed it. The only tank tropical tank needing salt is a brackish tank otherwise it is not worth worrying about.

I see. Thanks for the info.

mfdrookie516 said:
The only time I would suggest using salt is if ich is present... or some other diseases. I've read so much conflicting info on salt, IMO there's about a 50/50 chance it actually does anything.

Or put the fish with ich in a different tank with salt added?

Back
Top Bottom