Adding shells from the beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 110l tropical tank. I have 4 guppies, 3 zebra danios, 2 platties and 2 bronze corydoras.
We live in uk and my daughter picked up some sea shells from the beach. She is asking me if we can put some in the fish tank. Ive left them soaking in hot water i just wanted to find out if its ok to add them to the tank?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Shells

Hello gin...

I don't believe I would put something from a salt water environment into a freshwater tank. The shells could dissolve and leave chemicals in the water.

Your choice of course.

B

Hello gin...

I don't believe I would put something from a salt water environment into a freshwater tank. The shells could dissolve and leave chemicals in the water.

Your choice of course.

B

Shells in both salt water and fresh water are made of the same materials. They will all dissolve and can slightly raise your ph or increase the kh. The lower your ph the faster they will dissolve. If your tank runs over 7.5ph is say go ahead and use them.

My tank varies from 7.5 tp 8.0 in ph.
Ive left them soaking all night.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got shells in my tank, there have been no problem. I wanted to raise the KH, which it has done a little, PH raised but only minimal. As long as it's cleaned then go ahead. Just test a bit more regularly.

Hi I have done this many times! I put shells and rocks in that I find and all my fish are fine. All I did was put them in boiling water for like 5 minutes and then let them cool down.
Should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom