Adding substrate to existing tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I would like to add a black substrate to my tank, but have natural colored gravel stone there currently, about 3 years. I never did the recommended 2-3 inches. Only about inch and a half. I know it won't look awesome but could I add a black substrate over top the old gravel without throwing the tank parameters into chaos?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I would like to add a black substrate to my tank, but have natural colored gravel stone there currently, about 3 years. I never did the recommended 2-3 inches. Only about inch and a half. I know it won't look awesome but could I add a black substrate over top the old gravel without throwing the tank parameters into chaos?

Adding in an inert substrate like that shouldn't affect the tank parameters. However, fine sand wont stay on top of large gravel. The smaller particles will always make there way to the bottom eventually.

Adding in an inert substrate like that shouldn't affect the tank parameters. However, fine sand wont stay on top of large gravel. The smaller particles will always make there way to the bottom eventually.

I was just thinking of a black, plant friendly substrate. Like I said I know it won't look awesome, but I don't want to remove substrate. I was concerned covering the older substrate would mess up the nitrate/nitrite cycle. I guess because the tank is a few years old that it's okay?

I was just thinking of a black, plant friendly substrate. Like I said I know it won't look awesome, but I don't want to remove substrate. I was concerned covering the older substrate would mess up the nitrate/nitrite cycle. I guess because the tank is a few years old that it's okay?

The age of the tank has nothing to do with it. The only way you might mess with the nitrogen cycle is if you add in a non-inert substrate that has nutrients for plants which can sometimes leech ammonia OR if you remove one of the various surfaces in your setup that is currently the home to the necessary beneficial bacteria (like the filter media, or the current substrate). Adding a new substrate on top of the old might cause some of the beneficial bacteria to die off if you starve it of oxygen; but should be a moot point as your filter should house the majority of that bacteria.

The age of the tank has nothing to do with it. The only way you might mess with the nitrogen cycle is if you add in a non-inert substrate that has nutrients for plants which can sometimes leech ammonia OR if you remove one of the various surfaces in your setup that is currently the home to the necessary beneficial bacteria (like the filter media, or the current substrate). Adding a new substrate on top of the old might cause some of the beneficial bacteria to die off if you starve it of oxygen; but should be a moot point as your filter should house the majority of that bacteria.

So maybe adding it in small sections would be best? I've hit a lot if shrimp and plants in the tank, it's 30g.

You can add as much or as little as you desire, it won't change anything, done it many times with fish in the tank.
You might see some cloudiness at first after adding the new gravel, it will clear up. Also you will eventually have both types of gravels mixed once you start doing your cleaning chores, just saying, if you like that look.

Back
Top Bottom