Adding to my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5gallontank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 4 guppies and 2 danios in my 10 gallon and i want to add more fish. Any ideas of what to add???

Danios are highly active schoolers that really need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, and need atleast a 20 gal long or 29 gal tank IMO. Guppies are a great choice however, if you keep all one sex so they do not reproduce. I would get rid of the danios and add a nice centerpeice fish like a dwarf gourami. Or instead you could do a couple of male platties. Or 6 neon or ember tetras. Or 6 celestial pearl danios aka galaxy rasbora. If you have a smooth substrate you could do a group of 3-4 kuhli loaches as well that will hang out on the bottom. Most bottom dwellers tend to be too large for a 10 gal, but if you can get ahold of a group of kuhli loaches or pygmy cories such as hasbrosus or nanus, those are great choices for a 10 that can help give your tank some more action without taking up the limited swimming space up top. Also dwarf shrimp such as ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp will hang out on the bottom and do some clean up, they create very little waste so feel free to add 10 or so with your fish choices, if you'd like. A couple nerite snails is your best option for algae eaters that you could add as well.

siva said:
Danios are highly active schoolers that really need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, and need atleast a 20 gal long or 29 gal tank IMO. Guppies are a great choice however, if you keep all one sex so they do not reproduce. I would get rid of the danios and add a nice centerpeice fish like a dwarf gourami. Or instead you could do a couple of male platties. Or 6 neon or ember tetras. Or 6 celestial pearl danios aka galaxy rasbora. If you have a smooth substrate you could do a group of 3-4 kuhli loaches as well that will hang out on the bottom. Most bottom dwellers tend to be too large for a 10 gal, but if you can get ahold of a group of kuhli loaches or pygmy cories such as hasbrosus or nanus, those are great choices for a 10 that can help give your tank some more action without taking up the limited swimming space up top. Also dwarf shrimp such as ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp will hang out on the bottom and do some clean up, they create very little waste so feel free to add 10 or so with your fish choices, if you'd like. A couple nerite snails is your best option for algae eaters that you could add as well.

I caution on the galaxy rasboras though. They require different water temps. They like cooler water.

Back
Top Bottom