Adding wood to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruthNZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, so I have a branch that's been on my property for months, in the sun and rain, and played with by the kids. It would make a nice decoration in my axolotl tank, but I just want to be absolutely sure its safe before I do. I've scrubbed it, poured 4 jugs of boiling water over it (im not able to have it boiling, its too big) and its currently sitting in dechlorinated water. I don't know what sort of tree its come off, is it safer to not use it at all?

This one

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416209294770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416209294770.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 97
I can't see it properly to determine the style of wood.Is it floating?

Is it a hardwood? Are you able to push your thumb nail into it and easily leave an impression?

If its soft or a softwood, don't use it. If its hardwood, I'd continue to sterlise it as you are doing then leave it in water until it sinks.

Yea its floating, but no I can't easily mark it with my nail. Ok thanks Britty :)

?????

I have no idea, this is close up

Attachments

• 1416220012786.jpg
    1416220012786.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 98
It does look like tea tree...pretty sure if it is it will release tannins and probably some tea tree oil.
It's best to get a second, third and fourth opinion, but I'm pretty sure that it's safe. I personally would use it as I use aged eucalyptus with no issues except some tannin release which I don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks pretty cool! I wish I could give you an answer, try figuring out its exact type using google?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure bambam possibly could rot/fall apart faster maybe?

?????

I've cut 2 pieces off and am boiling them, no color change in the water they had been sitting in over night. I'm fairly certain its tea tree, but there's alot of different opinions about using it in tanks so I still don't know

Attachments

• 1416260787392.jpg
    1416260787392.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 73
melafix uses tea tree oil as it's active ingredient (M. leucadendra - though oils are very similar and concentrations vary) and control harvested and distilled oil and bush tea has beneficial constituents for humans (and fish according to API). The issue I would imagine would be the lack of regulated dissolution in your water.
Given the age and treatment of your wood, and that oils are concentrated in young leaves with less in older leaves (and some in the bark/cambium layer?), you should be safe to use it esp. since bark also appears to be completely removed from your pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Softwoods take ages of forced submersion before they sink on their own. Some never do and have to be siliconed tto slate to hold them down. After that they disintegrate and rot pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom