Addititonal Livestock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afasoccerguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help in deciding if I could, and if I could what kinds of livestock would go nice in my 55gal tank.

This is my current livestock inventory:
1 4-5" Bala Shark
1 Stripe Raphael Catfish
1 Red Damsel
1 Pleco
1 Tetra
2 Small Cory
3 Striped Danio
6 Adult Platty, 1 Juvenile (if he hasnt been eaten since I removed his hidding place to clean the tank)

Some suggestions would be nice. In the past I had about 5 more pleco, and 1 bala shark, and 2 tetra in the tank as well but over the year the fish have either disappeared or died.

I would really like to get a fish that will grow larger and be a show fish. I know that the bala will grow to about 8" but another fish would be nice. Also should I get more bottom feeders? My tank is about 48" long and 13.5" wide. My tank just looks empty with the smaller fish.:fish1:

Well......First of all, Bala sharks need to be in schools, so they need a tank over 100 gallons. What kind of plecos do you have? Corys, tetras, and danios are also schooling so you should get at least 4 more tetras, 3 more corys, and 2 more danios. You could maybe get a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece fish.

I think that my pleco is a common pleco. Its all black with 2 sets of pelvic fins. The pet store I got my livestock is a small family run business that has a greta reputation for knowledgeable staff, and Ive worked exclusively with the owner, as he is a friend of my friend. He told me that two bala in my 55 gal would to do great and they were until last night when the younger of the two got sick and died.

If you want a smaller gourami, the honey gourami (colisa chuna) or the sparkling gourami would work.

I think that my pleco is a common pleco. Its all black with 2 sets of pelvic fins. The pet store I got my livestock is a small family run business that has a greta reputation for knowledgeable staff, and Ive worked exclusively with the owner, as he is a friend of my friend. He told me that two bala in my 55 gal would to do great and they were until last night when the younger of the two got sick and died.

Are all your plecos common? Commons grow to 2 feet long, so you probably need to rehome them. IMHO Bala sharks are not good in a 55. They are schooling regardless of what the lfs worker said. And a school cant fit in a 55 gallon tank.:nono:Plus, Bala sharks, when full grown, could eat some of your smaller fish.

I have an empty 10 gal that I would like to turn into a show tank with one of two fish in it. I was wonder if 2 cichlids that only get between 3-4" would be fine if I fill it with rocks and plants.

So what would be a good show fish? I know 10 gal isnt big. At one time it was a show salt water micro tank for two clown fish. I would like to do something similar in freshwater because I do not have the means to keep a saltwater tank any more. BTW it hasnt been salt water in 2 years. It was recently a brackish tank until the fish died.

You could get a betta and put it in the 10 gallon with a school of 6 neon tetras. You could also put in a mystery snail. Since this is a show tank I recommend a halfmoon betta, as they look very pretty and majestic. They are slightly more expensive than ordinary bettas (halfmoons cost $7-$11) but IMO they are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom