Additive to RO water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjd2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

My water is pretty rough here. Ph is 8.8 out of the tap with a KH of 71.6ppm (4 drops) and a GH of 268. Ppm or (15 drops). I believe the list time I checked TDS it was around 300.

The water here comes from a river that travels through a bunch of limestone and has a lot of fertilizer runoff.

I've had a planted tank in the past and had a large amount of Algae issues (in fact all my tanks have algae issues)

I really want to do a planted Tank again. This time I'd like to buy an RO unit and make RO water for the tank.

I have some blue dream shrimp that are surviving in this water now but they do not seem to be breeding :-(.

Does anyone have any advice for an additive to add to the RO water to increase the KH and some way to get the PH maybe a little lower but still stable?

I've aged and aerated water here before but the PH still stays pretty close to 8.

I have an R/O system. My well water is not nearly as hard as yours but I treat it to get the pH down and make it softer. I just put a small drip system valve in the line and mix the well water with the R/O water so that I get the pH and hardness that I want. You should be able to do the same and get the pH you want.

If I can just mix RO with tap at a certain percentage that would make life a lot easier :)

For more control you can play with epsom salt, baking soda and calcium chloride.

I would make it much easier and just mix ro and tap together to get the level you are looking for. Just fyi my water is worse with a
GH 28 501.2ppm
KH 11 196.9ppm
I don't play with shrimp but I do run a planted tank. I also have extremely high nitrate in my water. Gotta love farm country! If you want to do planted I really recommend dosing with pps-pro or EI it's way easier to control the exact amounts of nutrients going in to your water which will help greatly with the prevention of algae. I do have to watch my tank like a hawk but my plants are growing great!

I mix ro for my rams..
I just get it under 100 TDS and check NOTHING else..
I mix my tap 350+ TDS with my RO [No DI] [10-20 TDS] with my tap to get what I want..

MB nailed it though for homemade mixes...
I can bring up a nice link on how to use what he recommends.. I have those three chemicals [I use ice melt for my calcium chloride] and it is cheap and easy...Less then a teaspoon of each for 32 g....When I mixed my water all the time like this I got a batch of the most lemon yellow anyone has ever seen...They all lived healthy !

Back
Top Bottom