ADF requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Temp 78-80 works good. You can stock about 1 frog per gallon, in a frog only tank. They need to be fed frog and tadpole bites. I also feed frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They are quite blind, so need their pretty much dropped right on them, or fed in a special spot in the tank, like their fav hidey hole, every day so they know where to go when they smell the food. They do find their food by scent, so I don't recommend tankmates like fish that can find their food by sight, or the frogs often miss out and go hungry. They love live plans. Their skin is very senstive so take care when adding fake plants and decor that it cannot scratch their skin. Any rocks, wood, or decor must be firmly planted in the substrate because they will slam down into things and if they can knock it over, they can get pinned and drown, because of course they surface for air. It happens too often :( If you do keep them with tankmates, be sure they don't eat pellet foods not meant for them, or dried foods like worms and shrimp. They are prone to bowel impaction that can cause bloating and death.

When I was little and knew nothing about living things a store sold me two of them in a half gallon thing and I think that's how they died, bowel impaction.

I think it would be cool to get a few with a betta or some tetras.. But I actually didn't know they were blind

Yeah that bowel impaction is common :(

They can see a little, but it doesn't seem to be much. I keep them in a frog only take now because I found my fish were getting overfed in my attempts to get the frogs enough to eat...but lots of ppl are keeping frogs in community tanks and say it works. One of my frogs attacks my hand in the tank sometimes and I think he could do some damage to a betta. My personal perference is to keep them in a species only tank.

i personally believe that 1 frog per gallon is too many frogs,at least if your tank is less than 5 gallons.but 5 would probably be okay in a ten,id s ay at least 2 gallons per frog.

Im confident 10 frogs in a 10 gal planted tank is fine because of my long term success with them. They love to be with their own kind and thrive stocked one per gallon, as long as all of their other conditions are ideal anyway. I have frogs living 5+ years, so I feel they are definitely thriving the way I keep them.

Even if there is proper filtration? Have you had some experience that makes you think that?

Wow siva! Ill have to consider that :) are they good jumpers?

One frog per gallon is extremely lenient... Even in a frog only tank! It all depends on your tank's size and stocking. Even with proper filtration... It's just not enough space on the level that they swim... Bioload has nothing to do with it.

i dont have any(yet:))but i still think that 10 of almost anything is too much for a 10 gallon(maybe ill change my mind tommorow,thats when i hope to be getting mine).but seeing as i havent had any before,and siva has,if i were you id listen to her,not me.but i still think 10 is too many,JMO.and i do know they like company,but as with any species,overcrowding can stop them from acting as they would naturally.

One frog per gallon is extremely lenient... Even in a frog only tank! It all depends on your tank's size and stocking.

Why is 10 fish plus 2 frogs in your 10 gal OK but 10 frogs in a 10 gal is not? This doesn't make sense to me. All the fish I keep need more space to themselves than frogs do. As long as they have adequate space to swim, a proper diet, and live plants, they are happy as clams and like the company of other frogs. Maybe if you actually saw a 10 gal tank with 10 frogs in it you'd think differently. I think it looks less stocked than a 10 gal with 10 fish and 2 frogs. JMO.

i dont have any(yet:))but i still think that 10 of almost anything is too much for a 10 gallon(maybe ill change my mind tommorow,thats when i hope to be getting mine).but seeing as i havent had any before,and siva has,if i were you id listen to her,not me.but i still think 10 is too many,JMO.and i do know they like company,but as with any species,overcrowding can stop them from acting as they would naturally.

I understand where you are coming from, but I stock my tanks, for the most part, pretty modestly. I am not one for overcrowding. I have more experience with these frogs than I do any of the fish I keep. I feel confident I'm not steering anyone down the wrong path with them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with understocking them though. :)

if you have 10 frogs in a frog only tank, you have no bioload issue. I get this. Yet your still overstocking IMO. This is because while there's no bioload problem You've got 10 frogs swimming in the same area of the tank. That's overstocked for that area of the tank. 5 frogs in a ten gallon, with a few other fish, would be fine, cause the space is spread out over different areas of the tank. It's not a bioload issue at all, it's just a space issue in MY opinion. I'm not saying your wrong... I'm just saying I wouldn't suggest it.

Back
Top Bottom