Adult Angelfish Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got this angelfish that seems to be an adult. He's about 4 inches length head to tail and 5 inches bottom fin to top fin.
First question: any feeding requirements I should know? I already have omega one fish flakes and bloodworms but how much do I feed. I assume it would be a lot more?
Second question: there are groups of platies and Danios along with a dollar sized angelfish in the tank with him. Is there anything I should be worried about? Should I move the big guy? If you have any knowledge about this situation that would be very helpful.

your water is at about 78f right ? i wood feed him 2 times a day only as much as he will eat in about 2 minutes. you want your angle to come at meet you and be eager to eat, do not overfeed things go bad with uneaten food in the tank. PS angels will adapt to most foods flaques pellets freeze dried foods ...

Angelfish love bloodworms but its not very nutritious food. Feed angels twice a day as Sasikan said. Hikari has good line of food for cichlids which angels love. You can also feed what you are currently feeding. Angels are not very picky but if you feed them bloodworms often then they will ask for bloodworms and don't like other foods much so feed bloodworms like once or twice a week maximum. There diet must consist of meat more. So buy any food which has more meaty ingredients. But they also require vegetable matter so rotate foods.

About moving the angel to another tank. No. Keep things as they are. If the other is female then chances are they may pair up. If both are males but you only see occasional chasing and nipping then its fine. Its part of there behavior but always make sure one angel doesn't beat the other so much that the other will corner itself.

Add lots of plants in your tank and you ll do good. Angelfish is my all time favorite fish.

Also in case your platies have frys then they will become snack for angelfish. So keep that in mind too.

. If both are males but you only see occasional chasing and nipping then its fine. Its part of there behavior but always make sure one angel doesn't beat the other so much that the other will corner itself.

By occasional fin nipping do you mean every 5 to 10 mins or so?

By occasional fin nipping do you mean every 5 to 10 mins or so?
Yeah, that's not good. How big is your tank? I feed twice a day. Morning flakes and sometimes through dry blood worms for snack then omega pellets at night. And who's nipping who? Could try moving things around in the tank when you do a water change. The more they see of each other the worse it will get. Sounds like you got 2 males.

I got two males. One is pretty big and the other the size of a dollar coin. I feed twice a day. The tank is a 45g. The angels are usually peaceful when they're around each other but when the little angel gets a little to close to the bigger angel, the bigger angel sort of nips him to get him to go away. This happens occasionally but there are tons of hiding spots in the tank like caves and plants.

I got two males. One is pretty big and the other the size of a dollar coin. I feed twice a day. The tank is a 45g. The angels are usually peaceful when they're around each other but when the little angel gets a little to close to the bigger angel, the bigger angel sort of nips him to get him to go away. This happens occasionally but there are tons of hiding spots in the tank like caves and plants.
They should be fine. Just keep an eye on them. High difference in size. I'd try to throw the little guy some extra food here and there when the bigger one isn't paying attention, just to get him up to a bigger size a little faster.

That's totally fine. Such nipping is very normal. Keep them well fed like twice a day. You are perfectly fine

Is it normal for the bigger angelfish to just occasionally chase the smaller one around? And when the big one catches the smaller one, he nips him. Also, when there's food involved, the bigger one gets especially aggressive. He zips around the tank and after feeding, he nips the smaller one more than he would when it's been a while since eating.

Is it normal for the bigger angelfish to just occasionally chase the smaller one around? And when the big one catches the smaller one, he nips him. Also, when there's food involved, the bigger one gets especially aggressive. He zips around the tank and after feeding, he nips the smaller one more than he would when it's been a while since eating.
Yup. The bigger one will nip and cause stress to the smaller one, then most the time you get to deal with fin rot, sickness, but if he's not doing any damage to the little one it might be ok. If there's damage and you have another tank I'd put the smaller one in that to grow more. I have 3 angels in my 75g. 2 are pairing up and my other one tries to stay to it's self. But I don't know if you seen my post of my newest angel posted it's under "saved a fish" that one I gotta grow out in a different tank till it gets bigger. Same size helps more when adding these kinda fish together. So, if the nipping gets unbearable to watch or you see damage to his fins I'd re home for a while. Or find a female for your male same size. Imo

I'll keep an eye on the fin nipping to see if relocation for the little one is needed. Honestly though, when I see the big one nip the little one, all he pretty much does is jab once then go away. I don't think this is gonna cause too much trouble but we'll see.

Its normal. As I said if its continues chase then its not good. If your fish is cornered means it won't survive. Any other chasing and nipping is fine. Spread the food all over tank so little one can have his share as well.

Back
Top Bottom