Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beowulf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know you guys and gals get this a lot but.... ;)

I have been having aquariums on and off the past 4 years. My latest was small with a couple of small types of catfish and a school of tiger barbs but when i moved i gave the fish to my stepsister. I only have a 10 gal aquarium atm and was wonder what you all would recommend for stocking. I am thinking about a male betta since i love them to death and trying to find a female somewhere this time. I am also thinking a couple of corys. Maybe two swordtails? What do you all think?

Corys are good, but for some reason, they tend to tease my other fish alot.. chase them and such, but they do no harm.. they think the fish you selected would get along fine. Just dont over do it.

:idea:

Welcome to AA!!

If you are not going to be breeding the bettas I would recommend against putting a male and a female together. Normally you put them together for breeding, and separate them after the eggs are in the nest because there will be altercations. Bettas are best alone, or in a 10gal you could maybe put in some white clouds and definitely 3 cory cats - swordtails (because of their tails) might annoy the betta - but that is a big "might." I try to avoid anything with any kind of fancy finnage with bettas.

I agree with TankGirl...I would go for either a male or a female betta, not both. I love corys and highly recommend them...at least in pairs, 3 or more prefferably. A small school of danios (short-finned if you put in a male betta) are fun as well as extremely hardy.

Green Emerald Cories rock. Don't do gouramis with the bettas, they're temperments are too similar, and they'll possibly fight very similarily to two bettas being together.

Avoid longfinned fish of any kind. A school fish sounds best, to fill out the tank. Something that offsets the color of the betta.

Ie, if you have a red betta, try for a blue fish like Neons. If you have a blue betta, perhaps glowlights or rasporas, or even Serpais, something with some red in them.

[center:8ee2a08456] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Beowulf! :n00b: [/center:8ee2a08456]

I would stick with one betta with tank mates, or get a tank divider and two bettas.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. The white clouds sound fun Tankgirl, but the neons do also. So right now looking at a male betta, 3 corys, then some whiteclouds or 5 neons. Sound about right? Hopefully in a year or two i will be getting a larger aquarium and then who knows. ;)

Also these corys would be my first. I've had plecos before but never corys. What would be the best diet for them? Give them a little fresh zuccini (sp) and squash??

Cory cats are not vegetarians like plecos, so they will eat sinking pellets (Hikari makes good ones just for fish like cory cats) as well as fallen food from the other fish.

I think you will enjoy them, most everyone is a fan!

Thanks for all the help everyone. Will start up everything within the next week and hopefully get the ball rolling on the setup.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Will start up everything within the next week and hopefully get the ball rolling on the setup.

After a two-week quarantine and segregating our female betta, three bronze cories were added to the 10-gallon tank. The betta was reintroduced to the tank several hours later. Within minutes she had one cory cornered and bit off one of its feelers.

She was banished from the tank immediately and now resides in a 2.5 gallon bowl, with 100% water changes. And the cories happily share her previous home with an African Dwarf Frog and several ghost shrimp.

Here's hoping your betta is more gracious towards cories!

Back
Top Bottom