Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConnorCaldwell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had an angel fish for a while now and it's starting to outgrow my tank. It's picking on my other fish and it needs a better home. What should I do? And what would be a better tank mate for 2 neon tetras, 2 sunset platies, a red swordtail and 2 golden panda mollies? Thanks

How big is your tank? If your angel needs a new home, I would start with my friends that keep fish. If nobody has a home then you can check with your LFS and see if they will take them. Not a chain store like Petsmart or Petco...they wont. Mom and pop stores often will but might not give you anything for it. If they do it is usually store credit and a pretty small amount for the worth of the fish. As far as tankmates...depends on the size of your tank. Need more info to help.

How big is your tank? If your angel needs a new home, I would start with my friends that keep fish. If nobody has a home then you can check with your LFS and see if they will take them. Not a chain store like Petsmart or Petco...they wont. Mom and pop stores often will but might not give you anything for it. If they do it is usually store credit and a pretty small amount for the worth of the fish. As far as tankmates...depends on the size of your tank. Need more info to help.

The tank is 10g. I have a friend with a 100g tank but his fish are too big. We do have a small pet store in town so I will see if they're interested. Thanks

Well with it being a ten gallon, I would say even without the angel you are overstocked. The platies, mollies and sword have a very high bio-load. I wouldn't add anything else, but that is just me.

More neons would help those already there. They like to school. Most people recommend 6 as a minimum. The more the less stressed they get.
But you'd need to check to see how heavily stocked you are.

Check aquadvisor.com for your stocking %. I'd guess you're at about 200%. Mollies and swords both need a 20-30 gallon tank minimum. You're on the right track though by taking the initiative to rehome the angel! Good for you for doing what's best for the fish!

Back
Top Bottom