Advice for stocking 46 gal tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliffy1203

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

My 46 gallon bowfront tank is currently establishing its biofilter with a fish-in cycle. I currently have 5 sunburst platys, 2 Dalmatian mollies and 3 black sailfin mollies, which the LFS said would be perfect for the first cycle, and they appear to be happy and healthy.

I am thinking of the fish I will add once the tank has completed cycling in a few weeks. What do you think of my future stocking choices? I'd like to add:

Cardinal tetras (maybe 6)
Cory catfish (4)
Zebra danios (6)
Dwarf Gouramis (2)
and some more platys, probably red wag or Mickey Mouse

Can you think of any other really cool fish that would be compatible with my existing stock? I don't know if this matters, but I added 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. In addition, I am running two filters (an AquaClear 70 and an Eheim Ecco Pro) in hopes of being able to have a lot of fish in the tank.

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice, :fish2:

Bill
(cliffy1203)

Hello everyone,

My 46 gallon bowfront tank is currently establishing its biofilter with a fish-in cycle. I currently have 5 sunburst platys, 2 Dalmatian mollies and 3 black sailfin mollies, which the LFS said would be perfect for the first cycle, and they appear to be happy and healthy.

I am thinking of the fish I will add once the tank has completed cycling in a few weeks. What do you think of my future stocking choices? I'd like to add:

Cardinal tetras (maybe 6)
Cory catfish (4)
Zebra danios (6)
Dwarf Gouramis (2)
and some more platys, probably red wag or Mickey Mouse

Can you think of any other really cool fish that would be compatible with my existing stock? I don't know if this matters, but I added 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. In addition, I am running two filters (an AquaClear 70 and an Eheim Ecco Pro) in hopes of being able to have a lot of fish in the tank.

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice, :fish2:

Bill
(cliffy1203)
That stock sounds fine. You still have space though, so I recommend upping all your schools a little bit to like 8-10 of each. 6-8 cories. A few platys would still be fine in there too IMO.
Personally, I never use aquarium salt. You will find some rather mixed opinions about it however. I don't see where it really helps a healthy tank. JMO.

From everything I've read, one teaspoon doesn't do anything because there's not enough, but it does risk irritating the corys since they're scale-less fish and are very sensitive to salt. Anymore per gallon and you will affect the corys.

Just FYI, in case you missed it in researching your fish, the tetras and the gouramis like it warmer than the danios do. And +1 to absoluteangel04--I would just increase the sizes of the schools and see some awesome behaviors rather than trying to get a lot of species in there.

I wouldn't do the danio, because with the mollies, plates, and tetras, that's a lot of mid-dwellers. I would do a school of smaller loaches for more bottom dwellers. Maybe Dario Dario or striatia. Or instead of loaches, maybe a couple rams, or apistos. Maybe even some hatchet fish for the top.

Thanks to all who replied! Is there a good online reference as to which fish are bottom dwellers vs top vs mid dwellers?

Just have to research. Just google "freshwater aquarium fish" and read the "fish profiles" and usually it will tell you where they occupy the tank. If it docent say, than usually it's because it docent matter. If you go around and look and see something you like just come back here and ask and someone will help you.

+1 to research. When looking for top, middle, and bottom dwellers, I would put that in the google search bar--top dwelling fish, etc. Worked for me, for the most part. I finally found a website that did a pretty good job of listing where the fish liked to occupy and searched through their site. :D

Cardinals school really low in the tank. So, they take up the bottom area nicely. Similarly, danios school mostly around the top of the tank. The platies will be all over the tank. I think the proposed stock is actually very good for having all parts of the tank occupied but not over stocked. :)
BTW, IME danios will do totally fine at the same temps as the other fish. Fish are fairly flexible about temperature (to an extent of course).

Back
Top Bottom