Advice from some Veteran Tank owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcpousnret

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this tank from Craigslist for $225. I was told it was 125 gallons, but the actual demensions tell me its a 100 gal ( 60x20x20) I have several question and would welcome any help/advice. It was set up for saltwater, so it came with a Sealife systems model 100 wet/dry filter. Looks like everything is there including a 10 gallon tank, sump with blue bio balls and other stuff.

1) can I use this for a fresh water tank?
2) how do I set it up? The Sealife system website is down.
3) I have the glass for the top, but I have no lights. any Idea where I can get a good price for a 60 inch fixture or 2 30 inch fixtures?

Thanks y'all.

No problem going freshwater with that tank.

Any pics of that sump? That could help us recommend how to set it up.

Is the tank drilled, built in overflow, or HOB overflow?

Are you doing planted or anything? Or do you just need light for fish? If you are just doing fish I would do either a standard light fixture or a normal output T5. Coralife makes a decent and cheap normal output double T5 fixture that would be fine for freshwater fish.

1. Clean it really well with a white vinegar solution and you should have no problems.

2. Google "Melev's Reef" and look at his sump pages. You'll get a pretty good understanding of how a sump system works. A picture is worth a thousand words and Melev has lots of pictures.

3. Check out shop lights at Home Depot or Menards. Go with the 48" model for better bulb selection and availability. Get some daylight bulbs. If you're not growing plants, you don't need much light.

Ok here are some pics...Thanks for the help.

Here are some pics. i'm not sure how to hook all this up.

Attachments

• IMG_20101001_100229.jpg
    IMG_20101001_100229.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20101001_101235.jpg
    IMG_20101001_101235.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20101001_110229.jpg
    IMG_20101001_110229.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20101001_110241.jpg
    IMG_20101001_110241.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 271
From experience make sure your directional return tube has a hole drilled in it just above the water line or right at it. The sump can't hold that much water. I had a hole in mine but it was too low. Still drying the carpet. :)

NovaHeat

The clear plastic boxes look like the overflow. They should hook together somehow with the box with slots inside the tank and the box with the hose outside the tank. The white plate should attach to the sump chamber with the blue bioballs. The pump goes in the last sump chamber; the chamber all the way to the right in the lower righthand picture.

It looks like you may need some U-pipes to connect the two overflow chambers and return plumbing to complete the setup.

Don't fill the sump all the way to the top. You'll need room for the water to overflow from the display if the power goes out and your pump stops.

That is how mine works. You adjust the box with slits in it up and down to the flow of water into the sump. There should be a mark on the sump for desired water level. I found the water level is more critical to the intake on the pump than the line on the sump.

It looks similar to Wet Dry. you can find instructions there. A picture is worth a thousand words and they draw better than I do.

The hole I was referring to earlier in the return tubing is to stop the water from being siphoned into the sump through the pump. Drilling a hole in the directional tube will stop the siphon as soon as the water drops below the hole or if you drill the hole above the water line it will not siphon at all. Without the hole the tank will drain into the sump until the water level is below the return tube. In a large tank this is way more water than the sump can handle. You can test this by turning off the power but be ready if you don't have the water level correct or the hole high enough. From what I have heard it is a good filtration system. My tank is almost ready for fish.

Carpet is finally dry.

once you put the j tubes in the over flow, you use airline tubing to suck the air out and get the flow started.

Thanks cabezon. I should have added that very important part. A friend of mine tried all kinds of crazy things to start the siphon. If it is like mine the longer part of the j tube goes in the box outside of the tank. I think all of this is illustrated on the site referenced in the above post. Love illustrations.

Awsome advice.

Thanks so much for all the help. You are all so very kind. I THINK I might figure it out now.

Back
Top Bottom