Advice.. My ABF is looking pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
My African Butterfly Fish is looking much more pale than usual. I checked my water parameters and they're fine. None of my other fish are showing any distress or paleness. However, I only have one ABF. I feed it crickets and bloodworms. Anyone with more experience with these fish have any thoughts or advice?
First pic is from today, second pic is from about 6 months ago.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391221992.410166.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391222042.916098.jpg

Did this happened qucikly? Is it swimming and eating normal?

It has happened in the last day or so, but very noticeable today. It is swimming fine and just as hungry as normal. Upon looking more closely it almost appears like it may be shedding, nothing looks actually damaged or even hanging off, but that's the only way I can describe it. I really don't want anything to happen to it, I've had it for a while, and they are very hard to find in my area.

So after some googling, I think I need to raise my ph from 6-6.2 up to 6.8. (Which my rams should also be fine with.) I have to do this very slow and I don't want a major ph swing. My tap ph is 6-6.2
Any recommendations???

I NEVER try to adjust pH. Its usually better to have a steady pH then the perfect number. If you try to adjust it, and then it moves around to much with water changes and what not can really be worse for the fish then have it slightly off.

I've never tried to adjust the ph either, and I definitely don't want a ph swing. I guess I need to leave it alone rather than risk loosing other fish to a ph swing. I'm just crossing my fingers my ABF is going to be okay. I don't have a quarantine tank, but I do have a smaller 20 gallon long tank with a ph of 6.8; however, it has white skirt tetras and glass catfish in it.

I wouldn't change the ph either. Rams do not like changes in ph so it wouldn't be a good idea

Good news, but also weird. I woke up this morning and my ABF is back to its normal color. I'm not sure what caused it and I'm not sure what fixed it, but I'm a lot less worried.

Back
Top Bottom