Advice on a tank mate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afink1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank with consists of my angel, an albino rainbow shark, 2 plecos, and 3 random male mollies that were bullying everyone in my two other tanks. They all get along very well and swim together during feeding. I wanted people's thoughts on adding another fish to the tank that will work well with Bam Bam ( my angel ) and Chum (rainbow shark). Any ideas.

Maybe a school of Tiger Barbs, or Buenos Aires Tetras. If you like cichlids, try a Firemouth.
How about a small colony of some type of Botia loach. So many possibilities.

Maybe a school of Tiger Barbs, or Buenos Aires Tetras. If you like cichlids, try a Firemouth.
How about a small colony of some type of Botia loach. So many possibilities.
I am afraid a cichlid would bite my angel. Do they usually get along? I absolutely love the color of a firemouth. What are your thoughts on a discus? My girlfriend really loves the colors of them.

If you want to keep Discus, best to go with a Discus only tank. They are very prone to disease, and require very warm water 82 - 86 degrees, extremely clean water, numerous large WC's every week and an expensive, varied diet of frozen foods. I've successfully kept Discus in the past, beautiful fish, but a lot of upkeep.
I suggested Firemouth, because they top out at about 4" - 5" inches. Usually just bicker amongst themselves, very pretty fish. Firemouths can also fend off aggressive fish like your Rainbow Shark. Here is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 20180306_093514.jpg
    20180306_093514.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 44
If you want to keep Discus, best to go with a Discus only tank. They are very prone to disease, and require very warm water 82 - 86 degrees, extremely clean water, numerous large WC's every week and an expensive, varied diet of frozen foods. I've successfully kept Discus in the past, beautiful fish, but a lot of upkeep.
I suggested Firemouth, because they top out at about 4" - 5" inches. Usually just bicker amongst themselves, very pretty fish. Firemouths can also fend off aggressive fish like your Rainbow Shark. Here is one of my favorites.
Thank you for the information. I didn't know that about Discus. I will definitely talk to my girlfriend about the cichlid. The coloring is beautiful

Been talking to my girlfriend.... What are ur thoughts on a red parrot? From what I have read they seem to be ok with fish of their own size.

I've never kept Blood Parrots. As you've read, they are Hybrids. Part Midas, which is a very tough cichlid, not sure of the other cichlid components. I've seen large groups of juvenile Blood Parrots together in display tanks. They didn't appear too aggressive towards each other.
IMO, kind of an oddball fish, but "why not"?

Discus should also be in groups.

What about
German Blue Rams or Electric Blue rams?

Or a group of Tiger barbs or Cherry Barbs?
I have always loved rams. I hear they are very sensitive tho. With my research of Barbs... I have read they are fun nippers. Bam Bam (my angel) is my main concern. I may add blue rams to my 30 gallon with my dwarf gouramis.

I have always loved rams. I hear they are very sensitive tho. With my research of Barbs... I have read they are fun nippers. Bam Bam (my angel) is my main concern. I may add blue rams to my 30 gallon with my dwarf gouramis.
Rams like German blue rams or electric blue rams won't nip angelfish fins. I kept like six rams with angelfish and they never bothered angel fish ever. Tiger Barbs I don't recommend. They are notorious fin nippers and attack in groups. Discus fish is not a good idea. Very fragile. Rams are difficult but not as difficult as discus. You can also keep a black ghost knife or Denison barb. Yes people will say black ghost knife needs a bigger tank but they are very slow grower. Mine in 50 gallon for now almost one and half year and still good. But if you have small fish they will become snacks. If I were you I would have added German blue rams. My guarantee to you that your Bam Bam will not be attacked at all.

Back
Top Bottom