Advice on Crystals in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CuriousWoRm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 10G tank for a few years but about 6 months ago bought a new 29G tank to give me a chance to better explore what a bigger aquarium could offer.
I have some natural crystal rocks in my tank which have been in there from about the start. I was wondering if by sitting in the water if the actual crystal bonds could dissolve by something in the water. I was also planning on going to do some more digging for a few more so I could have a larger collection in the micro sword I have them growing in. In the attachment you can see their size.
I'm guessing since all my fish have appeared to be fine with them, then everything should be okay. But I still wanted to make sure I was totally in the clear. Even if everything is okay, i still don't want to have my crystals dissolve into nothing.

Attachments

• 32431-albums1205-picture8368.jpg
    32431-albums1205-picture8368.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 118
I have used a lot of crystals in mine for years with no problems.

Thank you mudraker, that was the answer I was wishing to get. Do you know if there is anything out there as far as a common mineral that would be bad? Like lime stone? I figured any rock should be fine as long as I stay away from anything with freshly cracked/jagged edges. I have some petrified wood I might put in along with a few other crystal varieties from my rock collection.

Yes, there are lots. Here are some that come to mind. Sandstone, anything with pyrite, anthing with copper, like vulcanite, rocks or minerals with a lot of iron.

Limestone for sure, though it can be used in a limited capacity to help raise ph, but use caution and do a lot of research. Same goes for coral or crushed coral.

Make sure any rock you use is inert. You can tell by dripping a small amount of sulphuric acid on it. If it bubbles, its not aquarium safe. Some say you can use vinegar, but I've heard credible arguements that it misses some undesireable elements.

There are a lot more, but its a start and I'm sure others will have plenty to add to the list.

Most crystals are good. Just do a little research to make sure they aren't painted/dyed or one that could poison the fish. Petrified wood is fine. I have both petrified wood and crystals in one of my tanks. No problems at all.

Thanks everyone. I think I've used up all the room I can for plants. Which went alot quicker than I thought it would. :*(
I'll refer back to the comments when I get into the final plans of setting up some sort of rock decor. I'm still in the brain storming phase.
I would be using natural crystals, I'm on a student's budget so I've been looking through my rock collection and the flowerbeds for things I could use. I have a some petrified wood, I'm leaning towards.
If I have a variety of questions pertaining to my tank, should I open a new thread or just keep asking them since they relate to my tank and I'm under 'General Discussion'? I'm just worried about spamming the boards with threads.

No right or wrong way IMO.

I'd open a new one if the question is far off the topic of rocks.

Can't wait to see new photos when you are ready....

Okay, thanks. I'll get a pic up when I get something set up. I'm trying to get the little bit of black beard algae I have going on under control first so I don't have it growing on my decor. It's not that bad, you can't even see it in the picture. So it shouldn't be long. Hopefully in time to get a good picture of my crown tail beta for the monthly fish picture contest.

Back
Top Bottom