Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
Advice on feeding pleco (and not corys and mollys)

So I got my 25 gal tall tank set up (at least I finally know just how big the tank is!). Current population:
4 balloon mollys
5 blue tetras
2 zebra danios
4 corys
1 pleco (baby ~2" long)

I don't have much in the way of decorations yet, but there is one that looks like a Greek jar that has an opening in the neck of the jar and the side. The pleco has adopted this as his cave, but I can't figure out a way to feed him without allowing the mollys or corys to find his algae chip. Since the tank is brand new, there is no algae growth to speak of. I also would like to figure out a way to feed the pleco that would encourage it to come out of hiding. Any ideas?

Old 04-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is unlikely that the other fish are going to eat the whole thing. There is probably enough left over for the pleco. I have two plecos in my 50 gal along with a ton of other fish. I know food hits the bottom of the tank, even though it looks like the others get everything. I also throw in a broken algae wafer and everyone eats on it, but if I look closely, there is still some left at lights out.
That's another thing, if you are concerned the pleco isn't getting his share, drop the wafer in after turning the tank light off. Plecos are noturnal and will eat while the others are sleeping.
BTW, what type of pleco did you get?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
correct me if I am wrong, but plecos love things such as cucumbers, zuchinni, romaine lettuce. You could drop a slice in the tank at night, and I'm sure it would love you for it!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to JenNewbie
It's just a plain ol' pleco. I almost went with a clown pleco, but I was told they aren't as good at controlling algae as the regular plecos. When it gets too big, back to the store he will go...

I was thinking about blasting the tank with light for a couple of days to try to get some algae growing. Is this a good idea?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
No on the light idea. Fish need the cycle of sleep just like humans. Leaving the light on can stress fish out, along with a number of other things. And next time you want to buy a fish, make sure it will live in your tank. Taking the fish back to the store when it outgrows your tank isn't a very good idea. Can stress them out, especially if the enviroment that you gave it is completley different from the enviroment it is going in to. Try the zuchinnin, cucumber, or lettuce ideas, they have worked good for me! HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, corys, feeding, feeding pleco, molly, mollys, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com