Advice on fish/inverts to stock for breeding/sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That different from having to ship off several packages a week (or per day during busier times). My point is that it very well may end up being more of a chore and a distraction from the hobby itself than a source of enjoyment.

jetajockey said:
If your focus is fun, then just pick species that you like, and don't worry about what sells. That's a great way to get experience anyhow, and there's no sense in being in a hobby that you aren't in love with.
And plants are way easier to care for and ship and all that, so that's why I am not doing many fish.
aqua_chem said:
Sounds like a good way to suck the fun out of a hobby to me.
I love the hobby, and I love taking care of fish and plants. I am into it so much that I didn't want anything for my birthday accept money, because I just wanted to buy fish stuff.

aqua_chem said:
That different from having to ship off several packages a week (or per day during busier times). My point is that it very well may end up being more of a chore and a distraction from the hobby itself than a source of enjoyment.

I have a lot of free time, especially during weekends. I will be selling slowly for a while and then maybe start to pick up the pace in the spring, and then summer I will be able to have all the time I want. And I shipped myself some plants a few months ago (as a test run, lol) and it was fun, not seeming like a chore.

My RCS are breeding well, but they aren't super bright red like some that I have seen. How could I improve their color? Would adding brighter colored shrimp from different sources help?

jetajockey said:
Yes, culling is also very important.

But right now I only have 3 adults...so I need to get the number up first. I do have a bunch of babies, but I don't know how their colors will turn out yet, so I don't want to cull them yet.

But right now I only have 3 adults...so I need to get the number up first. I do have a bunch of babies, but I don't know how their colors will turn out yet, so I don't want to cull them yet.

I understand, I was just explaining how to achieve better coloration in a colony of shrimp. You obviously don't want to start culling until you know which ones need to be culled.

Going to get some plants today. Probably the basics: anacharis, java fern, swords, vals, and maybe some anubias.

Got no plants....LFS was out of stock. I did get some Fluval shrimp food though. :)

Gboy66 said:
Very cool! Thats going to be a big breeding project!

LOL yeah! I have some already that are breeding but I need brother ones and a lot more.

I have a ten gallon with only rcs in it. I started with about 20 and now a couple months later have hundreds. I need to sell them before they end up as food for my more aggressive fish in my 75. I just need to get the stuff for it haha. But for breeding and selling they are definitely a need to have.

OK, so I got the super bright RCS on Saturday. I also ordered some cool plants like riccia fluitans and brazillian pennywort.
Oh and I ordered the rest of the shipping supplies. So I should be operational in a week!

Back
Top Bottom