Advice on fish/inverts to stock for breeding/sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to have a mini fish store at my house. By mini fish store I mean basically like an LFS, but shipping about 99% and selling locally the one percent. I will mostly sell plants, with some fish and inverts for sale occasionally. I will sell common plants such as swords and java fern, as well as not as common plants like dwarf baby tears.
The fish I will sell will most likely be either bolivian ram juvies, livebearers and some egglayers. I will be slowly operating until spring, when I will start to pick up the pace.
EDIT: I am not trying to advertise anything at all, I was just trying to get people's opinions on things that they think I should sell and prices and stuff.

For one plant or two in the spring (or right now to southern states) shipping should only cost around $4. Should be the same price for RCS, but fish will need insulated boxed with packing materials, so it will cost more to ship them. I will also not have any stock ready for at least a few weeks until I can get more plants and supplies. I need to get Styrofoam sheets, boxes, bags, and heating packs.
I will also be able to order plants for people from multiple sources. I have high lighting, so I can also hold plants if need be.

What kind of fish or plants should I stock? I value your opinions.

maxwellag said:
What kind of fish or plants should I stock? I value your opinions.

Fish:
Corys, tetras, angels, gouramis, rams, plecos. The basics. Nothing that gets to large either.

Plants:
Swords, jungle val, wisteria, java ferns, crypts, floating plants..

Inverts:
Basically most nerite snails, and most shrimp.

First you should figure out what kind of setup you are going to be using. Figure out what all you have now, and what all you plan to have. That's going to limit your choices drastically if you don't have a dedicated fish room in mind with a large budget.

First you should figure out what kind of setup you are going to be using. Figure out what all you have now, and what all you plan to have. That's going to limit your choices drastically if you don't have a dedicated fish room in mind with a large budget.

I am going to use my 20g long with T5HO lighting, my 10g with medium to high lighting, and my (upcoming) 40g which will also have T5HO.

maxwellag said:
I am going to use my 20g long with T5HO lighting, my 10g with medium to high lighting, and my (upcoming) 40g which will also have T5HO.

3 tanks? You wouldnt be able to hold much

maxwellag said:
most of the tanks will be filled with plants almost completely. And this will be a small scale plant nursery.

Definitly, but what about fish?

I thought about raising African cichlids since they are so vibrant and gorgeous looking, but you would need at least a 55g for that. :(

They also go for good $$ depending on the breed.

I thought about raising African cichlids since they are so vibrant and gorgeous looking, but you would need at least a 55g for that. :(

They also go for good $$ depending on the breed.

Not if I can sell them fast. I could get them one at a time and sell them individually if I had to... depends on what people want.

What would you guys like to see for shrimp stock?
I will definitely have RCS, but I am not sure what else. CRS, maybe?

maxwellag said:
What would you guys like to see for shrimp stock?
I will definitely have RCS, but I am not sure what else. CRS, maybe?

Maybe tiger shrimp and amano? I would definately buy some tiger.

I think I will do mostly red cherries and crystal reds, with some other species that I won't have permanently, but people will be able to request.

personally id get some blue tigers. also for fish id get a +55 and stock it will different livebearers and cories. it would be like a breeding factory. lol

I think I will do mostly red cherries and crystal reds, with some other species that I won't have permanently, but people will be able to request.

I'm trying to understand where you are going with this. So you are planning to breed a few species, and then get other ones for sale on request? Who is your supplier going to be?

jetajockey said:
I'm trying to understand where you are going with this. So you are planning to breed a few species, and then get other ones for sale on request? Who is your supplier going to be?

I will have multiple suppliers. My Petsmart isn't bad but I will still avoid them. I have a lot of good LFSs in the area, and I will also order stuff online.

Back
Top Bottom