Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Advice on Golden Algae Eater?

I've had my golden algae eater for about 2 months now, and he is getting more and more aggresive every day. I read that they are good for community tanks as juveniles, but should be in a semi-aggresive when they get older. He really is picking on my other fish now. I don't have another aquarium, so I can't just start up a semi-aggresive tank. Can I bring him back to the pet store? Will they take him? What should you do with an individual fish that's a bully?

4 jumbo cardinal tetras
3 long-finned zebra danios
2 ghost catfish
2 otocinculus
1 male betta
SeaDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to tailbarlionfish
That is normal behaviour. You may be able to stop him picking on other fish by getting him a cave or something so that he will make that his territory and stay there. I used to have a 10cm long sucking loach and he had his rock which he dug a hole underneath and used to stay there all the time, he loved it!

Your fish shop should take the fish back, you can probably exchange for another fish of the same price.

8) Lora 8)

2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
A tank with 3 fighters;1 male, 2 females
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
tailbarlionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #3

Hi,

if you are talking about a Chinese Algae Eater (CAE) then you will have to take him back to your LFS anyway because they grow to 1ft long. Way too big for a 29 gallon tank.

They are nasty buggers though and will only get worse. As they get older they also pack in their task as an Algae Eater and start trying to feed on the slime coats of your other fish, injuring them or even killing them.

steve
Old 08-19-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

mine still hoovered around the tank and i think was about 7 or 8 yrs old!
2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with baldone. Ditch the CAE for a bristlenose pleco, or maybe some otocinculus.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. Before we went to bed, we quaratined him last night and I'm planning on taking him to the store after work today. I looked Chinese Algae Eaters up, and they are a different species than our Golden Algae Eater (but probably similar behavior).
Bristlenose plecos look pretty cool, I'll look into getting one. Any other suggestions?
4 jumbo cardinal tetras
2 ghost catfish
2 otocinculus
1 male betta
Old 08-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #7

Brought our golden algae eater to the store tonight-- they wouldn't let me trade him, but they did take him back. I got a cute little otocinculus, and he's doing well so far. Since I've removed the gae, all the fish seem to be a little perkier.
4 jumbo cardinal tetras
2 ghost catfish
2 otocinculus
1 male betta
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDana
Brought our golden algae eater to the store tonight-- they wouldn't let me trade him, but they did take him back. I got a cute little otocinculus, and he's doing well so far. Since I've removed the gae, all the fish seem to be a little perkier.
Hi,

can I suggest you get a couple of friends for your oto.

They are sociable fish and do much better in groups.

3 should really be the minimum number you keep together.

steve
Old 08-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah, you must get a group of six for them to be good algae eaters.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice, I'll get a couple more--

4 jumbo cardinal tetras
2 ghost catfish
2 otocinculus
1 male betta

Tags
algae, algae eater, eat, eater, golden

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com