advice on rainbowfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christo72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm hoping that I can get some advice on the suitability of adding a couple of rainbowfish to my 15 gallon aquarium. I currently have two sword tails (plus one sword baby that seems to be doing very well), three guppies (and some babies that have recently appeared), a Siamese algae eater and a pygmy cory (will be adding another one).

All the fish in my aquarium are very gentle and I would like to maintain this atmosphere. Even though the aquarium is heavily planted, the babies seem to be fine swimming in the exposed space, and I don't want my baby sword tail to be eaten.

A couple of rainbow fish seem like they would be a nice addition to the aquarium - although I haven't been able to find too much information on them. If anybody can think of any alternatives that would fit in well, or have experience with rainbow fish, I would love to hear from them.

I'm looking for some visual variety and community fish.

I have a bunch of rainbows and love them. They're great fish to keep. From what I have observed, they are very peaceful fish and are fairly easy to take care of. I can't guarantee that they won't eat the babies that you want to keep since I have no idea how large the babies are.

Are there any type of rainbows that you are particularly interested in?

the smaller rainbowfish would probably work out rather well.... i have had celebes and threadfins and love 'em. celebes can be a little picky though, be sure to do regular water changes.

I would advise agaist the rainbowfish..or anything else for that matter. You are maxed out on your 15 gallon tank as it is. Also, rainbowfish are schooling fish that need a lot of room to swim. The 15 gallon tank, especially one already fully stocked would not be ideal for rainbowfish. If you upgrade your aquarium to a different size, then rainbowfish..threadfins for the fish you have now...would be perfect community fish.

Back
Top Bottom