Advice on some new additions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I have had my tank for over 2 1/2 years now, and over the last 6 months I have lost a little bit on interest, still kept it clean etc but it was getting a bit bare, plants starting to die of etc, so this weekend I took everything out and had a good hoover of the gravel and went to invest in some new plants, bogwood etc, ended up getting an air stone as well to help with the oxygen in the water. So now have a remodelled tank which I am happy with and am letting settle for a week before adding some new fish.

My tank is a Fluval 90 litre with a Fluval 200 external Filter so well equipped to cope, the filter really doesn't have to work very hard. Did a water test and all is spot on so happy with the condition of my tank now.

Current occupants are
Clown Plec
Bristlenose Plec
2 Zebra Loaches
1 Molly
5 Neons
1 Guppy

Would just like some suggestions for some new friends to move in?
I have attached a video and a pic which I would welcome your feedback :)

Kind Regards
Sam (UK)

Attachments

• photo2_new.jpg
    photo2_new.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 66
Hello! Really like your tank, you ve done a good job, nice to look at.
Have you checked your stock amount on Aquadvisor? The Pleco s & Molly have high bioloads so not sure how many more inhabitants you could add. I d take something out & then get more of what s left. Like a few more Zebra loaches or more Guppys.

Have you checked your stock amount on Aquadvisor? The Pleco s & Molly have high bioloads so not sure how many more inhabitants you could add. I d take something out & then get more of what s left. Like a few more Zebra loaches or more Guppys.

I agree. Plecs have high bio loads and I would only keep one a tank. What plants do you have? I would also get a few more of what is already in there ( but no more mollies ). But if your really looking for some new inhabitants, black skirt tetras, thread fin rainbowfish, otos, hatchetfish ( you need a tight hood ), black kuhli loaches ( groups of 4+ ), Cory cats, cardinal tetras, and many more. Mollies can also get up to 5" btw.

Hi all, I have had my tank for over 2 1/2 years now, and over the last 6 months I have lost a little bit on interest, still kept it clean etc but it was getting a bit bare, plants starting to die of etc, so this weekend I took everything out and had a good hoover of the gravel and went to invest in some new plants, bogwood etc, ended up getting an air stone as well to help with the oxygen in the water. So now have a remodelled tank which I am happy with and am letting settle for a week before adding some new fish.

My tank is a Fluval 90 litre with a Fluval 200 external Filter so well equipped to cope, the filter really doesn't have to work very hard. Did a water test and all is spot on so happy with the condition of my tank now.

Current occupants are
Clown Plec
Bristlenose Plec
2 Zebra Loaches
1 Molly
5 Neons
1 Guppy

Would just like some suggestions for some new friends to move in?
I have attached a video and a pic which I would welcome your feedback :)

Kind Regards
Sam (UK)

I don't see the vid link. Is it on YouTube? You have a very nice looking tank though btw. :D
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your driftwood? ( at a lfs or online )?

Thanks I'm pretty pleased with it now :)
No I haven't checked the stock amount, I probably should do.
I did get 2 more zebras a while back but they two new ones lasted about a week, never understood why cos the other two have been in there a long while, i would love more of them as I really like them.
I had thought about some more guppies, I like them, there just nuts and good to watch swim around like headless chickens all day.

I agree. Plecs have high bio loads and I would only keep one a tank. What plants do you have? I would also get a few more of what is already in there ( but no more mollies ). But if your really looking for some new inhabitants, black skirt tetras, thread fin rainbowfish, otos, hatchetfish ( you need a tight hood ), black kuhli loaches ( groups of 4+ ), Cory cats, cardinal tetras, and many more. Mollies can also get up to 5" btw.

If i;m honest with you I have no idea what the plants are, I just picked what I liked the look of :)
Thanks for the idea's I will have a look online and see what ones I like the look of.

I don't see the vid link. Is it on YouTube? You have a very nice looking tank though btw. :D
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your driftwood? ( at a lfs or online )?

Oh really itisn't up on Youtube but I could put it n there or email it to you?
I got the driftwood from the local Pets at Home, think it cost £6 got lucky because I really like the shape of the bit in the middle, good centre piece.

Here's a pic from the end of the tank looking in :)
Want to replace the heater with one of the new Fluval style heaters and keep the one in their now as a spare.

Attachments

• photo_new.jpg
    photo_new.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 55
My clown pleco is prolly my lest waster because of how small they stay but still creates a decent about of waste maybe if you trade in one of your plecos that could open up a little room.

I have to agree about guppies I have a couple in both my community tanks there tails are pretty and they are lil nut balls.

Sorry for my ignorance but how many gallons is your tank? Maybe instead of the plecos do a small school of corries my panda and albino Cory's are nut balls and fit right in with the guppies amusing to watch :)

My clown pleco is prolly my lest waster because of how small they stay but still creates a decent about of waste maybe if you trade in one of your plecos that could open up a little room.

I have to agree about guppies I have a couple in both my community tanks there tails are pretty and they are lil nut balls.

Sorry for my ignorance but how many gallons is your tank? Maybe instead of the plecos do a small school of corries my panda and albino Cory's are nut balls and fit right in with the guppies amusing to watch :)

It's a 20 gallon tank, I've had both Plecs for a while now and don't seem to have any problems with the amount of waste, I think it helps having a filter that is for a 40 gallon tank so I'm way over budget on the filtration.

Small school of corries make work well, I have had Dwarf Gouramis in the past which I really liked.

Here's a pic from the end of the tank looking in :)
Want to replace the heater with one of the new Fluval style heaters and keep the one in their now as a spare.

The fluvals are great heaters but a bit overpriced IMO. I would rather get the eheim jäger or Aqueon pros. Though fluvals look more inconspicuous.

If i;m honest with you I have no idea what the plants are, I just picked what I liked the look of :)
Thanks for the idea's I will have a look online and see what ones I like the look of.

From the looks of it, you have water sprite, some kind of sword in the back corner, and the two thin leafed green ones that I'm not sure what it is. It looks like jungle val to me though. You should pm Rivercats or Aquatic_Adam to ask them about the plant names. If it really is jungle val, you need to move them to the back of the tank.

Oh really itisn't up on Youtube but I could put it n there or email it to you?
I got the driftwood from the local Pets at Home, think it cost £6 got lucky because I really like the shape of the bit in the middle, good centre piece.

Wow! That is really cheap! My lfs only sell ugly and flat pieces of manzanita driftwood. No bogwood or malaysian driftwood. :(
I always have to order them online and the shipping is crazy expensive.

Back
Top Bottom