Advice on this Aquarium for Albino Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel-Leaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hopefully this is in the right place (apologies if not) so I’m looking to purchase my second tank, I know exactly what fish I want to add to it and have extensively researched into them however I’m still unsure if this tank if suitable and wanted to ask for advice from people will far more know how than me.

The dimensions are: 76 x 30.5 x 46 cm it’s 87L.

This is the link to the Model I’m looking at that is within my price range currently.
https://www.lincsaquatics.com/marina-vue-87l-aquarium-setup-p11674

To be honest I don’t want to purchase a tank unsuitable for the Corys needs, I’m hoping this has enough ample floor space for at least 8 Albino Corydoras.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would say thats the minimum size for a small group of corys.

What are your plans for other fish. While your tank will support 8 cories, that doesnt leave much room for anything else.

While there are issues with the basic rule of 1" fish per gallon of water, when you are looking at small bodied fish it will prevent you overstocking tanks. 87L is about 25 gallons so 25" of fish. Albino cory, say 2"/ fish. So 16" total with just 9" left. You can probably push it a little further, but as an inexperienced fishkeeper i wouldnt advise pushing it too much.

A group of 6 corys will give you more scope for keeping more freeswimming fish.

I see, hmm I did look at a 110 L within my price range, perhaps that would add more space. I do indeed to have a much larger tank eventually- once we’ve decorated our living room, but that will be a while off yet.

So if I did purchase this six could would be fine, obviously that’s sort of the minimum group number imo for them, I’m not overly bothered about adding mid or top dwelling fish, but if I did decide to what fish would you recommend for the room left over if I had six Corys?

Also was the length of the tank right for them, I’ve been searching for long tanks as Square wouldn’t be suitable for their foraging needs.

Thank you.

Corys stay almost exclusively at the bottom of the tank. They will go chasing each other around the tank including the mid/ upper levels occasionally, and they have a habit of rushing up the side of the tank for a gasp of air every now and again.

Im not a fan of making recommendations, because it would be what i would want, and not what you would like. You should go to a fish store and see what appeals to you. The options are nearly endless. Without knowing what you are wanting its difficult to know what to say. Do you want a centrepiece? A colourful school of fish? Active swimmers? Interesting behaviour? Something aggressive/ semi- aggressive?

Lets say the 6 corys are given though. A few options i would consider.

- 6 albino corys.
- 6 black phantom tetras.
- 1 dwarf gourami.
- 2 nerite snails.

or

- 6 albino corys
- 4 otos
- 8 celestial pearl danios
- 1 betta
- 2 nerite snails

If you wanted some colour in there.

- 6 albino corys.
- 12 neon tetras.
- Red cherry shrimp.

Like i say, these are fish i like. The zebra danios you mention in your previous post would be good additions, easy to keep, active swimmers, enjoyable to watch.

Thank you, this has actually help a lot. You have even suggested a few fish I’ve looked into and like, for example I’d love Betta, but I know they can be aggressive so was weary.

On that note if I went for 6 Corys and a Betta, would adding the Corys for a few weeks first, before adding a Betta sometime later be a good way to introduce a territorial fish? I was only thinking that if the Corus are already there and established it might make a Betta fish settle better. Honestly I don’t know, but I though adding peaceful/ schooling fish ( if I do) first and then a Betta last might be a good way to do it.

Ive seen introduction videos where people added smaller/ bottom dwelling fish and the Betta attacked or killed them.

I have ample time to decide as I haven’t purchased the tank yet and once I do I will have to cycle anyway.

We brought 3 guppy’s for the other tank and they’ve settle really well. And the children love them.

Ive got a 56 litre tank with 4 otos, 8 celestial pearl danios, 1 betta and an apple snail.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/fluval-flex-57-a-379456.html

There are no issues with aggression. The betta went in last and thats considered the best way to go as the betta won't have established territory. Mixing fish with bettas is always a risk, but having a suitably sized tank and adding the betta in last minimises this risk. But it always down to the temperament of individual fish.

Wow that’s a really lovely looking tank and both the Betta and the Snail are beautiful, such vivid colours.

So I’ve actually just found a tetra starter line 105 litre well in my price range, might need a better filter (reviews say it’s naff) and will have to get a heater (not supplied) which would be closer to 30 gallons and plenty more space. Gah picking the perfect tank is pretty challenging lol who knew! But I have the bug now.

I will shop around some more. But you’ve been really helpful so thanks for taking the time to talk with me.

Back
Top Bottom