Advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just purchased my first HOB an aquaclear 50! Right now I have the carbon in it but i will probably switch it out for another bio media bag soon.

But, along with the AC 50 I have a AC 10 powerhead too. Is the AC 50 enough or should I continue running the AC 10? Also instead of the Bio media is there something I can put in the AC 50 that will naturally lower my pH? it is currently around 7.8 and I would like to lower it to around 7.0. SLOWLY! I have a GBR and I wouldn't mind seeing her breed eventually.

What type of sponge should I put around the intake of my filters, to keep the java moss I have from mucking up the filters?

AND! lol i know. What type of sand or substrate are my zipper loaches and GBR going to like the most?

Thanks,
Drew

What size tank do you have? You can't really have too much filtration running two filters. Just means cleaner water.

29 gal., the reason i ask is because I worry about the heavier water current bothering fish that are used to gentler waters? I do like the clean water aspect of this problem though which is why it is still running...

The 50 is enough for a 29g alone, but you can run two if you want. What are the GPH ratings of each filter?

The AC50 will be plenty of flow, no real need for the powerhead IMO.

Any sponge or netting will work. Stockings, media bags, etc. They also sell pre-fab intake sponges.

Loaches love sand. ;)

Ok, probably take out the power head, save it for another take for another time. and thank HN1 I was thinking my loaches would really enjoy the sand. Any suggestions on what type?

I'm a big fan of PFS (Pool filter sand). For the price, it can't be beat. If you're going for a different look, there are other types of sand. Most sold specifically for aquariums will be grossly overpriced though.

PFS - white, $4 for 50lb
Play sand - tan, $4 for 50lb
Black Blast - black, $8 for 50lb

I'm using these and they're great.

Is Black Blast sharp? i have heard it is used for blasting and may hurt the loaches? I really want to see them dig, and then get some more to make a bigger group.
But if it isn't sharp, that color would be awesome. But the safe white would look good too.

I had read that it was sharp in some places and fine in others. There are different grades, so maybe the coarse grade is sharp. I bought the fine grade stuff and it's maybe a little rougher than PFS and about the same as play sand. I currently have a pictus catfish (scaleless) in the tank with the Black Blast and I've seen no ill effects. Black Blast is definitely less dense than PFS or play sand, so it's easier to stir up.

Somewhat related question.....

Can you add sand to an aquarium at any time?

I used Quikrete Medium sand, which is awesome, but I didn't put enough in. could I, say, put it in by and handful or cupful, let it get wet, then dump ti on the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom