Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJUK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have treated my tank for rot fin as one or two fish have had rot fin, I've added a bit of aquarium salt to help with this. However I have now discovered two of my fish have also started getting white spot. Can I treat for white spot even though I'm treating for rot fin?

On top of that one of my female guppies have given birth. I managed to catch three of these fry and I out them in a breeder net In another tank (before I spotted the white spot) would this cause any problems for the fry? And could I have transferred the white spot by moving the fry?

I don't have any white spot medication until I go to the store tomorrow, is there anything else I can do until then?

Thanks in advance.

Depending on what fish you have you can treat white spot with salt and raising the temp

What meds do you have on hand?

Do a 25% water change, making sure you give the gravel a really good clean.

Gradually increase your temperature (a degree every couple of hours or so) and re-dose with salt.

If you can keep up the water changes every other day, maintain the salinity and higher temperature you may get rid of the ich without meds. The fin rot is from not changing out enough water or often enough.

It will get worse before it gets better, so be prepared to tackle this for the next few weeks. Good luck with it!

Oh, and I also like to use stress guard- it helps restore and maintain the fishes slime coat which is vital to their recovery.

Thanks for the replies guys.

At current I change my water every week as I was told. My temperature at the tank at current is 80 F. The only fish I have in it at current is 5 guppies and a Pleco.

How much more can I increase the temp? I don't want to kill them by boiling them.

Thanks for the replies guys.

At current I change my water every week as I was told. My temperature at the tank at current is 80 F. The only fish I have in it at current is 5 guppies and a Pleco.

How much more can I increase the temp? I don't want to kill them by boiling them.

You could go up to 85F. How big is your tank, and how big are your water changes? Can you post photos of the affected fish?

90 litre tank and I do around 50% water change.

I'll get some pictures upload soon.

For heat treating ich get the temp to 86 degrees and keep it there for at least a week. That temperature isn't going to be dangerous to your fish, although I would hesitate to go any higher.

Thanks for the advise. Well an update for you.

turned temperature up as advised. went to work one day and unfortunately one fish died (it was covered in white spot) well i went out to buy some medication. did a water change before applying medication. Later found out my other fish in another tank started having white spot, just a very mild case. This must of have happened when taking the fry out of the previous tank and put them in my breeding net in my bigger tank. (i had taken them out before I realised the tank had white spot)

i'll keep the temperature up for another week as stated above.

Hi there my thermometer goes up to 31 degrees celcius but I cant get my 60 litre tank to ever in reach 27 degrees, possibly time 4 a new one? Any input welcome

Back
Top Bottom