Advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmobley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to do a planted tank (first timer). Also wanting to do a sand bottom. Does this work? Any advice, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

This would be in a 10 gallon with no fancy lights.

Depending on the plants you choose, you'll likely need to make or purchase root fertilizer tabs. Sand is inert and does not do well in providing food for plants on its own.
I'd also recommend dosing liquid carbon. Since it sounds like you're trying to keep things on the simpler, low-tech side I'm guessing you won't be injecting CO2.

Do some research into low light plants so that you don't purchase something that has a stronger light requirement. There are plenty to choose from and most LFS that I've been to seem to carry at least a few of them. You don't want to plant something only to have it slowly die over the course of a month or two.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In a low light tank excel is unnecessary. However for root feeding plants such as crypts root tabs are needed.

Check out anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitis, and crypts for good low light plants. Crypts should be planted in the substrate and the rest get tied to decorations.

I've had anubias nana in my tank for a few years now, both with roots in sand (don't plant the rhizome) and on driftwood. It's dealt with weeks long blackouts due to broken lights, no ferts, the works. It just keeps chugging along, I trim them occasionally and split them when they get big enough, best money I've ever spent on plants, they've lived through more than Java fern ever did.

What are the lights? Only ask cause some lights that come with kits have such low PUR values they don't grow anything, even low light plants.
Compact fluorescents make good cheap lights for a planted 10g $8-10 bulb $5-10 dollar dome light and can hang above the tank or set directly on top of a glass lid or egg crates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have the extra money to spare make the bottom layer of your tank Eco-Complete and the top layer sand.

Back
Top Bottom