Advice regarding medication against bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20GL

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone!

I posted yesterday regarding a betta who got injured by tank decorations. (Please refer to previous post for details).

Injuries were severe but limited. The worse injury was on the left fin. Today, a pink band has developed above the injured fin. (See attached picture).

I have him in a small quarantine tank and am treating him with daily water changes.(thanks aquandrew for the advice).

I have two questions.

1.Does this look like a bacterial infection or is it just inflammation from trauma?
2.If I need to medicate the betta, what medication do you recommend? Tetracycline? Mardel products?

Please let me know. Thank you very much!!!

Attachments

• image-1309266539.jpg
    image-1309266539.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3575517453.jpg
    image-3575517453.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 53
If he just injured himself, all he needs is lots of healthy water. I do not see any signs of infection or fungus requiring meds- it just looks like trauma.

The Maroxy product is just stabilized form of chlorine. It has antifungal/antibacterial properties but will not address an actual infection that requires antibiotics. Some fish also do not react well to it so I suggest caution before considering this or any other med.

Hello 20 G...

Medications are rarely a good answer. Meds can damage plants and kill beneficial bacteria. The best thing for your fish is to get it back into the main tank. Large, weekly water changes are best and feed some nutritious foods like frozen brine or Mysis shrimp, beef heart, bloodworms, plankton and krill. Just a bit every other day. Also, minced garlic is a very good source of vitamins and natural antibiotics. Don't worry, it doesn't make the water smell.

I 'd pass on the medications.

B

Thank you Jlk, wiggles24, and B!!! I am definitely trying to stay away from meds at all cost. I just wanted to be prepared in case of last resort, so it is good to have it on hand. I could also go to the vet to get a prescription of things are dire.. I have a breeder tank on order so I can put Cogburn (the betta) in the main tank but so I can keep an eye on him and feed him.

I like the idea of using natural supplements like garlic. How much do I put in for a 20 gallon tank? How often? In what form?

I was also thinking almond leaves might be nice for him.

Thanks for the support! I will keep you updated on progress.

Feeding Garlic

Hello again 20 G...

Feed just a bit once a week, a quarter teaspoon is all you need. Get the minced (tiny pieces) garlic and check the ingredients. The best product is simply the vegetable and moisture (water), your fish doesn't need any additives.

Garlic is a member of the onion family and as you know a little goes a long way!

B

Update: in the last 10 hours, the pink irritated part of Cogburn's left side has tripled. I've been reading up on "cloudy eye" which he has and am wondering if he rubbed off his side. He is now hanging head up, tail down in the Q tank. I am so sad. I changed his water, made sure he is comfortable, and will wait. Hopefully, he is a tough fish and will pull through. :((((((( please send good thoughts!

Attachments

• image-1176364506.jpg
    image-1176364506.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 45
He is also only breathing out of one gill. Poor little guy. Breaks my heart how petco treats animals.

Btw- I went to my LFS today and the only thing they had was triple sulfa. I gave him a dose out of desperation. Since he has some cloud eye and what looks like some septicemia. They did not have the mardel products in stock :/

Unfortunately he did not make it. He was comfortable though and did not look like he suffered. Poor guy. I was not the cause of the infection (poor water conditions at Petco for sure, I am so sad that I was ignorant and that his cloudy eye was not blindness but disease. I know if I had treated him earlier I could have saved him. Poor betta. So pretty! What I waste.

Ps: any advice on how to clean my quarantine tank?

Empty and soak in bleach solution (1part bleach to 9 parts water) for 15-30mins. Rinse well with hot water. Then soak in double dosed dechlorinated water for 15-30mins. Empty and air dry, preferably in the sun if possible. Same applies to filters, airstones or anything from the tank you would like to reuse. I am very sorry about your guy :(

Thank you, jlk. I threaded with bleach solution (ran the system for 30 minutes) rinsed in hot vinegar solution, then rinsed again in hot water, rinsed with prime treated water and let complete air dry.
I knew I was getting a not so whole fishy when I got him, but its still very sad. Betta's in pet stores are just like puppy mills. Makes me so angry!!!!

Back
Top Bottom