Aerating water, filter bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed on several pictures of tanks, and of the kind in the ADA competitions that the filters used on these tanks do not produce any bubbles when putting water back into the tank. Is this necessary?

I have a HOB filter and have (possibly incorrectly) thought that in order for enough oxygen to get into the tank, the return water from the filter must be going into the tank and creating bubbles. This of course leads to micro bubbles on the glass, and in the water column, which could also make the water a bit hazy seeming.

Is this necessary, how are the people doing tanks with no bubbles, plants and live fish?

I have no bubbles in my tank, nor do I have any surface agitation. I keep my co2 at 35-40ppm. As long as co2 is below 100ppm (i think) the fish will be ok, though it wouldn't be a good idea to keep it that high long.

Many planted tanks use canisters. They have an output that can be adjusted below the water's surface so it is not agitating the surface. This can be risky, you have to trust your CO2 equipment to do its job and not overdose.

So your saying that my fish will be ok if I make the water level high enough to not produce any bubbles as water enters my tank? Does the water get aerated enough just flowing through the filter?

Mixer said:
So your saying that my fish will be ok if I make the water level high enough to not produce any bubbles as water enters my tank? Does the water get aerated enough just flowing through the filter?

Normally yes, as long as the surface of the water has enough movement. Also it is best not to cover the tank with a glass or plastic that can "seal" the tank and prevent the oxygen interchange.

Just agitating the surface of the water will allow oxygen to enter, don't worry your fish will be just fine.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom