Aeration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

galaga-girl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

For the first time I set up a tank that doesn't use an UGF, I have an Aqua One 800L Hang On Filter like the one here http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/filters/aquaonehf.htm some of the fish in the tank are going up to the surface every now and then and it looks like they are getting air.
Is this normal? The fish that are doing it are the angels and the molly mainly but also the paradise fish is hanging around the top a lot.

The tank is completely set-up and I don't want to have to stuff around too much, is there anything easy I can get to add air to the water if this is causing a problem?
Thanks for any advice.

Paradise fish (as i said in your other post) is a labrynth breather so that is common. My angels exhibit the same behavior and they have been around for over a year now. As for the molly i am not really sure as the ones that i had came to an untimely death due to some serpae tetras, but they no longer are with me *swears at the serpae tetras*. What size tank is it?

I think the tank is 58g from my calculations - could be wrong, it is 4ft, we don't use gallons here in Australia :wink: the LFS woman told me that it would be sufficient for this size tank, but they have been VERY wrong before so....

if you use litres then that is no problem ... 1 US gallon is equal to apx 3.78L (being a chef, it really helps to do conversions!)

How many litres is it... I'm in Oz as well BTW...

my 3ft is about 50 gallons, but it is wider than normal. 58 sounds about right for a 4ft if it's not a high... The 4ft high is 330litre or over 80 gallons...

Is the 50cm the total height of the glass to the very top? How deep do you fill it?

I'm thinking it's about 190-200litres of water - or about 50g US - which would be quite close to the volume of the bigger tank I have.

You would be getting 4 times filtration which should be quite good and I can't see how the aeration could not be just fine. Gouramis and others of the type tend to go to the surface like that as said above...

Back
Top Bottom