Aethiomastacembelus sp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogurako

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking on aquabid last night and found Aethiomastacembelus sp. "Rosette spiny eel" They are from lake Malawi and are suppose to get around 9 inches. Does anyone know if they would be ok to keep with Mbuna?

I have never kept the Spiney Eels personally, but everything I have heard and read says they do fine with Mbuna. I have heard of people using larger species of Eels with Mbuna and being ok, so I don't think you should have an issue.

No experience or known anyone who's owned one, but there is a cool factor with them. And a quick google search people are keeping with other fish from the Rift Valley not just Malawi, so thats encourageing. Maybe some pictures are in order when they arrive.

HUKIT said:
No experience or known anyone who's owned one, but there is a cool factor with them. And a quick google search people are keeping with other fish from the Rift Valley not just Malawi, so thats encourageing. Maybe some pictures are in order when they arrive.

Will do Huk!

I've never kept the Malawi rosette eels, just tiretrack and Tang plagiostoma's. I chose the plagiostoma's because they don't grow very large or burrow in the sand/substrate like most spiney eels. There are actually a good number of different species of Tang spiney eels, most are highly conspecific aggressive/territorial. You should also research that aspect of the rosette's before getting a group.

toddnbecka said:
I've never kept the Malawi rosette eels, just tiretrack and Tang plagiostoma's. I chose the plagiostoma's because they don't grow very large or burrow in the sand/substrate like most spiney eels. There are actually a good number of different species of Tang spiney eels, most are highly conspecific aggressive/territorial. You should also research that aspect of the rosette's before getting a group.

I was rethinking the group and will probably try just one. I tried to look online for information on keeping them but allot of the websites are in French or German.

My pair of plagiostoma's were easy enough to maintain, I kept them in a 29 of their own and fed them mainly frozen bloodworms. Occaisonally some frozen brine shrimp for variety, never tried to switch them over to pellets. Like any spiney eels make sure the tank is completely and tightly covered.

Back
Top Bottom