Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

african butterfly fish

I am looking into getting a butterfly fish but here is my problem, I am soooo afraid that he will eat my little boys. The smallest fish I have is the White Clouds and my others are not much bigger. He will be going into a 100 gal tank. If I get the smallest that I could get, I think it will be ok for awhile, but how fast do they grow....anyone out there with some info???

100 gal: freshwater
2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

20 gal: fry tank of whatever (right now about 30 guppies and 100 white molly's.

10 gal: 2 german blue rams (pair)

5 gal: Basil the Betta, 2 african dwarf frogs
nimbus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have any info about them nimbus, but if you decide to get some butterfly fish, let me know how it turns out. I have been thinking of getting some but I haven't heard anyone talk about them before.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Ano...s_thomasi.html

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerLunchbox
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Anomalochromis_thomasi.html
"African butterfly fish" usually refers to Pantodon buchholzi, not a cichlid at all [it possesses closer affinity to the "bony-tongued" Osteoglossidae (namely, arowanas and pirarucu)].
Old 02-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The African butterfly fish isn't a cichlid? Hmm. The lfs has them labled as Cichlids. The site that you referenced is what I was talking about Veneer in regards to my post. They truly are beautiful fish

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Went to my lfs expert and he said to feed the african butterfly fish live feed and that will keep him from seeing his tankmates as the local buffet. He also said that he has never had his eat his tankmates (variety of cichlids). I think I'm going to take the plunge and get him...I'll let you know the update in a few days.

100 gal: freshwater
2 green kissing gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 3 congo tetras, 3 australian rainbows, 1 rubberlip, 1 hippo, 1 green severum, 1 yellow severum, 2 german blue rams (pair), 3 giant danios, 3 silver dollars, 5 angels, 12 freshwater clams.

30 gal: 6 white mollys, 3 rummy nose, 2 german blue rams (pair), 2 red swordtails, 2 golden swordtails, 1 handicap guppy.

20 gal: fry tank of whatever (right now about 30 guppies and 100 white molly's.

10 gal: 2 german blue rams (pair)

5 gal: Basil the Betta, 2 african dwarf frogs
nimbus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
The African butterfly fish isn't a cichlid? Hmm. The lfs has them labled as Cichlids. The site that you referenced is what I was talking about Veneer in regards to my post. They truly are beautiful fish
To clear up any confusion over common names:

While Pantodon buchholzi is not a cichlid, Anomalochromis thomasi is.

Nimbus, which of the two do you have in mind?
Old 02-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I would wager we are discussing Pantodon buchholzi, not butterfly cichlids. That being said, although butterfly fish grow at a slower rate than many fish, even at 2¬Ĺ", they will be a potential threat to your white clouds and any other similar sized fish. Although the butterfly fish is unlikely to actively hunt the smaller fish (unless allowed to become hungry enough), anything small enough that ventures close to the butterfly is likely to be snatched up.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
first of all ... my appologies ... i wasn't sure which one you were talking about to be honest. Sorry for the mis-information.

Second of all, i agree with Toirtis, The butterfly WILL hunt top swimmers if it is hungry enough, but it will remain fairly peaceful. Also, make sure you don't have many large openings in your tank top. This fish can and will jump very high.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KaiserFish
I had a butterfly for about a year and a half before he passed on recently. He never actively attacked anything that I saw, nor did he ever try to jump out of the tank when the lid was off for cleaning. He ate flake food and dried bloodworms, and pretty much any type of food that floated on the surface of the water.

He perished in what appears to be a fight with an angel, as both were found floating the next morning with severe wounds on each. Which is odd, since they'd lived peacefully together for over a year and a half.

Tags
african, african butterfly, butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com