Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
African Butterfly Fish

my 55gal is finally starting to finsh up its cycle. So, i want to begin learning about my next fish i want to ad. I want to get a pair of African Butterfly Fish. My hope is that by getting a pair (male and female) there won't be any territorial problems. My issue is i don't know how to sex i have looked up a lot of pages on them but none seem to have good discriptions on it. So if you have experince with them i would love to hear about sexing.
Also, i have read they are picky eaters and won't eat anything unless its on the surface of the water. I generally feed frozen brine shrimp (not so much anymore) and blood worms. the brine shrimp tends to sink more and i can get the blood worms to float but not as well as i would like. Does anyone know of a good food for them?
Any other words of advice are appreciated

In case it has any effect here are my stocking plans:
2 butterfly fish
2 gouramis(i have a platinum in my 20gal i will move over)
1 Bichir Senegal he is about 5" now

I plan on giving my dwarf gouramis to a friend.

"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

AFAIK Julia, this fish has never been bred in captivity and there is no way to sex the fish. A terrific food would be live wingless fruit flies or freeze dried mosquito larvae. Both of these will float on the surface.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fruitbat wrote a great article on the African Butterfly Fish that should answer most of your questions. I used to keep them and fed Freeze Dried Plankton. Wax worms are also another good food. Ours eventually started eating flake. I was told that they also enjoy small crickets. I never tried it though.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
I feed mine bloodworms and flakes (I'm surprised he'll actually eat them). I have him in a 10, for now, while he's little.
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had two in a 20H almost two decades ago. Great little fish. Ate flakes. Haven't seen any since, but I would get more if I did...much better personality and appearance than Hatchets, IMO... I kept mine with Danios and a Kuhli "coolie" loach. Still keep Giant Danio because of their infectious attitude. The loach was interesting, but digs too much for me.

With the flyers, Make sure you have a full glass top and keep it closed. They WILL jump out in the middle of the night. I lost both of mine due to "base jumping" accidents.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
so i read the males anal fin is diffrent then the females is there any way some one could show me a picture of this?
"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

This site shows comparison shots.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african, african butterfly, butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com