African butterfly fish jumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about getting an african butterfly in my 55 gallon. My only concern is that they are know for jumping. I was wondering how I would do water changes,arrange deco, etc without the butterfly fish jumping out. Is there a way to keep them from jumping while doing the things I need to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They aren't particularly likely to jump out while you're standing over the tank doing maintenance. Provide some floating plants for cover and they'll feel more secure in any case. They don't like much water movement. If it does turn out to be a problem just put a piece of cardboard over the other end of the tank while you're working in it.

In my experience, keeping the water level a little lower than maximum height can prevent jumping.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks for the help!

I've had them before years ago and with what I learned water level doesn't play a part cause when I had them cause anything that spooked them cause them to jump and they can jump a good distance especially if there isn't anything like floating plants..

If ur going to keep them like he said make sure u have plants that float and try not to spook them when doing maintance

I had 2 in my 90 gallon, never had any problems with water changes or scrubbing the back glass... they do seem to prefer to stay in corners of the tank or under floating plants or even the filter intake tubes.. great fish they love crickets as well

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use to own one and it never jumped out just but a bit of floating plants in which will add a bit of security

Back
Top Bottom