African Butterfly Fish-QUESTIONS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just pre-ordered one of these, and it will be arriving the first week of July. I've never had one before. I did quite a bit of research, but of course, AFTER I ordered it, I read on one website that they are difficult to keep in captivity. Is this true? Then why do so many people seem to have luck with them?

I order some Repashy Soilent Green, as I read some like it. I have frozen mysis, brine shrimp, krill, Emerald Entree, Fresh Water Multi-Pack, and bloodworms. I also have NLS pellets in three sizes--small fish, betta and cichlid. I also have NLS Optimum freshwater flakes and spirulina flakes. I know it's good to give them at least some live food, so I'm planning a trip to Petsmart to get crickets and mealworms (if that's a good choice).

For those of you who have these fish, do you have trouble getting them to eat flake, pellets and frozen? I am afraid of getting one that will only eat live. Also, I know they stay on top almost all of the time. Should I wave the frozen food in front of it with tweezers? I really don't want to lose it, as I've wanted one for a while. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences who has one of these fascinating fish.

I have a beautiful rather unique one he does stay in like one corner which is frustrating to me only comes out and about during feeding but he he eats frozen and dried blood worms as well as shrimp and pellets. The main thing with these guys that I was told is that they are carnivores so I did have much luck with flakes

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have had butterfly before .
An amazingly graceful fish!
First week feed the crickets(get small) everyday to make sure he is eating.
The box stores will have freeze dried crickets in reptile section.
Start mixing freeze dried with live(1:1).
Don't get discouraged as training takes patience and tough love,which is why you feed fullout first week.
Feed one live and one freezedried and wait.
Next freeze dreid first,if it eats it offer another if not back to live,but place it near FD.
I have trained fw and marine fish to eat what I want them to.
Sometimes you have to starve them alittle,but you need to offer what they should like.
What ever else you offer it should float as this is where it eats.
All my arrowanas of the past ate freeze dried krill like they were meant to!
Same trap door mouth!!

I enjoy mine! I love to watch him eat.
Mine eat brine shrimp, granules, that slowly sink, blood worms, freeze dried shrimp. Fun ,neat ,fish.
I never had much lunch with flakes though.
I hope you enjoy yours

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom