African Cichlid 101........?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyost12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so its my first time keeping African cichlids in a aquarium and they all look very healthy and are very active so I think. With this being my first time with cichlids what are their overall behavior like? What do they do that is considered normal behavior in a aquarium? What signs should I watch for that is a indicator that the fish is not doing good? What are just some good things to know in regard to the African Cichlid family of fish?

Thanks

Mike
You've asked a very broad question. Regarding normal behavior, depends on the type of Africans. Mbuna = Rock dwellers, Haps and Peacocks = mid to upper level swimmers.
Mbuna are very territorial and need a lot of caves and hiding spots. Haps and Peacocks are cruisers. You can expect a lot of chasing, split or nipped fins, and the occasional death.
Look for a fish that isolates itself, darkens and stops eating. Likely a subordinate male that needs to be removed. There are just too many variables to provide a comprehensive answer but I hope what little I provided helps.

Mike
You've asked a very broad question. Regarding normal behavior, depends on the type of Africans. Mbuna = Rock dwellers, Haps and Peacocks = mid to upper level swimmers.
Mbuna are very territorial and need a lot of caves and hiding spots. Haps and Peacocks are cruisers. You can expect a lot of chasing, split or nipped fins, and the occasional death.
Look for a fish that isolates itself, darkens and stops eating. Likely a subordinate male that needs to be removed. There are just too many variables to provide a comprehensive answer but I hope what little I provided helps.

It does help a lot. I know it was extremely broad, and was just looking for a overall generic answer and I appreciate your help

Back
Top Bottom