african cichlid behavior question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

infyrna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:confused: I just bought 5 new african cichlids today for my 56 gallon tank. The red zebra makes these weird shaking movements... he moves his head back and forth rapidly like he's having a seizure, or he has terrets syndrome. Is this a normal territorial behavior or should I worry about him? Any cichlid expert opinions welcome! thanks.

Cichlids do the cichlid shimmy for a couple of reasons. One is to show aggression and claim territory and another is breeding behaviour. Do you have a female red zebra?

I do not have a female red zebra, that is the weird part. I have an electric blue, a jewel, an unknown, and a bumble bee. The unknown is a mix of two fish. He is kinda dark like almost black. The black one just ried to attack the electric blue (which is bigger). Do I need to add a few more to break up the territorial party going on in there, or will they settle it among themselves?

Sometimes cichlids will get along sometimes not. Make sure there is plenty of rockwork for them to hide in if need be. Also try rearranging the decor and watch them to see if it improves.

Back
Top Bottom