African Cichlids & Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seryiouz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two adult sized Convicts who had a fry about 7 months ago. Today my wife & I added two African Cichlids. Initially, the African Cichlids tried to take over the cave that was occupied by the two adult convicts. After a brief power struggle, the Convicts claimed their cave back. I'm not sure how long they will co-exist with them & the Juvenile Fry. What do you think?

The Africans and convicts should calm down and coexist in time the only thing to watch is the fry until it is matured you won't know the temprement an how it will take to every1 else

Those convicts will kill the Africans while defending their fry or the next time they spawn. I would return the Africans and just stick with the convicts. South/central American and African cichlids should not be housed together do to different water parameter needs and aggression levels. I have seen convicts kill a whole tanks worth of fish during a spawn.

Reactions: 5x5
Those convicts will kill the Africans while defending their fry or the next time they spawn. I would return the Africans and just stick with the convicts. South/central American and African cichlids should not be housed together do to different water parameter needs and aggression levels. I have seen convicts kill a whole tanks worth of fish during a spawn.

I agree, that's a recipe for disaster. Africans are aggressive but South and Central Americans bring that to a whole new level, now throw parents guarding fry into ty mix and that doubles their already aggressive nature. I'm not sure what size tank they are in so I can't comment on future tankmates.

I'm afraid you're right, they got into a big territorial fight last night & it seemed at first that The Africans were more dominant, but the Convicts reigned supreme

Attachments

• image-3492609831.jpg
    image-3492609831.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 97
Here's a view of the entire tank...as you can see the two Africans (one white, one black) has occupied the left side of the tank, chasing away the smaller Convicts...& as you see on the right where the cave is where the larger Convicts stay

Attachments

• image-4134632219.jpg
    image-4134632219.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom