African Dwarf Frog...friend or foe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Something Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some people here have mentioned having frogs in their tanks. A friend of mine has a long finned danio (rescued from oblivion) and an african frog in a 3 gallon tank and there is no problem. I was told today that frogs will kill fish if they can. I figured this to be true if it was a big frog and a little fish, but those guys are so little...are they really so bad? I just think of so many instances of people I know having frogs and fish together....the guy at the pet store said "frogs eat fish". Well, heck, other fish eat fish too. I also asked about crabs and he said they would kill fish too, yet I know some of you have them in your tanks. How about snails? Are they evil too?

Can someone give me a realistic explanation of the interaction between fishes, frogs, crabs, snails, cats and bats and elephants? It seems like people in pet stores contradict each other. What's the real scoop?

There are dwarf frogs and then there are african clawed frogs. It is the clawed frogs that can grow large and do some damage to fish. Unfortunatly it isn't always easy to tell the differnece in the petstore and many workers wouldn't know if they were hit on the head.

So....even if a display is labeled "african dwarf frog" it is possible that it is something different? This is disheartening. The local Petsmart has dwarf frogs, or so says the label on the tank.

They are probably not dwarf and will become big fast and predetors. I,ve got a small one that was raised from a tadpole but will get him out as soon as hes about 2 inches. My crab is very peacefull but would eat fry along with every other fish and frog if given the chance. So your right with most aquatic critters if it fits into there mouth its probably food.

Check their front feet/hands. If they are webbed then they are african dwarf frogs.. If they are not webbed then expect it to become big and agressive.

Back
Top Bottom